stangman69

MDL Hydraulic Clutch Install Question

I'm trying to install the MDL kit into a car that originally had an AT.  I've already replaced the pedal assembly and now just need to hang the MDL parts.

I don't see much of a flat place on the inside of the firewall behind the clutch pedal to mount the pedal pushrod plate.  The MDL plate doesn't sit 100% in contact with the interior firewall surface...mostly but not fully.  I DO think I can get contact where the bolts should go to connect the inside and outside MDL pieces with the firewall sandwiched in the middle.

I see a single small dimple in a flat location that I'm thinking might be the clutch pushrod punchout that MDL's directions reference.

Does the MDL pushrod plate / assembly need to be in the same plane, as in straight up like the clutch pedal itself is?  Asking another way, using clutch pedal as a straight edge, should the MDL plate square up to it?  (I hope that makes sense...it does to me...:))  By aligning the vertical edges of the MDL plate with the vertical edge of the clutch pedal, I DO seem to be getting into a mostly flat portion of the interior firewall.

Does anyone have any guidance they could provide?

Thanks all.

Nathan

Nathan,

Some pictures below.  Mine is a factory 4-speed, so I guess the dimple is the centerpoint where the factory punched the hole for the linkage. The area is mostly flat, but you can see on the lower left, the bracket isn't over anything.  The mounting surface, however is flat.  I also ground the aluminum spacer the goes on the engine side of the firewall down (per MDL instructions) so that it is flat against the bracket. The clutch master cylinder is vertical and the rod isn't quite 90 degrees to the pedal but close.  I had some of the same concerns you had, but this seems to be solid and in line with other info I found online.  It's definitely solid.  Just takes a little patience.  Hope this helps.

IMG_6491

IMG_6492

IMG_6493

Thanks gents.  I finally figured it out and got it all installed last night.  Took some fussing.  It helps when I yanked the steering column and wheel as well as the lower dash assembly out.  They were just loosely bolted in so it wasn't a hassle.  My 9 yo son helped me until he detected dad getting frustrated.  My wife asked him why he came in from the garage and she said he told her "I think Dad needs some encouragement and is getting frustrated."  I promise no foul language was used.

I do have some contact with the brake distribution block but I think I can grind the protruding edge off and it'll give me enough space.

All in all, a pretty slick set up.

The dimple ended up becoming the center of the hole and that wasn't entirely clear in the directions.  Also, I didn't end up grinding anything off either the pedal bracket or the spacer in the engine bay although I might end up slightly notching the engine bay side just a hair towards the top edge of the MDL spacer to get a little tighter fit...I might leave it alone too because it's dang near perfect.

Delighted to be making forward progress on the car after several years of idle time.  Replacing misc. mismatched bolts and assembling the engine accessory setup (Fox-based using aftermarket pulleys), clutch system is ready for drivetrain install, ordered the Vintage Air heater unit and will install that early next week.  Body wiring and engine wiring ready for installation...that'll be a chore.

Thanks again,

Nate

No return spring needed for hydraulic setups. However different springs can be used to "tune" the feel of the pedal, but hardly anyone does this.

This thread is useful for me because hopefully this summer I'll be installing a MDL setup as well.

@lanky - if you need anything, let me know.  It was a three hand job to mount the firewall bracket and somewhat annoying to not be able to find a perfectly flat spot but as they allude to in the instructions, there may be a slight over hang.  I chose NOT to grind my bracket for clearance.  Focus on a straight smooth push action from the edge of the clutch pedal through the mechanism into the bracket - no side load.  You'll get what I mean when you start in on the job.

Nate