Flanders

Where to get all the 12V power from?

Seems like an easy question -- but where are you guys getting all your 12V power sources from?  I don't want to have everything tied off my battery post, or the starter solenoid post, as may look a bit messy.  I'm trying to keep things clean.  Not sure if it's "safe" to just tie it to the back of the alternator (instead of solenoid post), so what have you guys done?  I'm trying to tidy up the wiring for my MSD box, headlight relays, feul pump power relay and ECU.  

I bought a 2 pole connector and ran a power wire from battery positive to it, then pulled all power from that. I used like a 8GA wire into it so plenty of capacity. The starter relay, MSD, fuel pump relay, Sniper, radio amp all come off it with no issues. I also put the alternator wire into it. This one has 8mm studs.

Worked so well I did the same thing on the other side of the car and hooked light and fan relays into it. This one has 6mm studs.

Neat and tidy, well kind of. Not show car but all I have on the battery terminal is the main power to the starter (large cable in picture) and the power to the block (smaller cable coming down the strut tower)

IMG_1098.thumb.JPG.b0ed55c5b31b77a49ab9472c783ecf1f.JPG

I needed a feed point for the inertia switch for the electric fuel pump, & the circuit breakers for the electric cooling fans. I installed a bus bar & fed it with a wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Common-10-Gang/dp/B0091VHLW4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

100_1285.thumb.jpg.a21141279eac752aa8aae0e25c9f18e8.jpg

I put in a box on the driver's side fender because next to the battery was too busy and jammed together.   I removed the cover so you can see inside.  It has a bunch of fuses on top, conections, circuit breakers, and 3 relays.  ACC1, ACC 2 are relays that turn on with the key in accessory.  One relay is for items I want on when the ignition is on.    I might redo the whole thing and add the relays for my audio amplifiers. headlights and horn.  

relay box.JPG

On this one, each fuse has a LED next to it, the little green dot.  I press the red button and all fuses that have power will light the LED.  That way it is easy to find the blown fuse, it is the one that does not have the LED turn on.  I would guess you do not want anything as elaborate, but ti might give you an idea about doing yours. 

relay box  top .JPG

^^^ Thats what I wanted to do but couldn't find anything suitable. I guess you built this from scratch? I like the fuse block with the LED lights - is that a shelf item or you made it up?

1 hour ago, Mike65 said:

I needed a feed point for the inertia switch for the electric fuel pump, & the circuit breakers for the electric cooling fans. I installed a bus bar & fed it with a wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid. 

I used what Mike did, but added two, one on each apron. My 69 came with an auxiliary stud on the fuse box which has a 2 or 3 terminal splitter for ad on's if you only need a couple of extras. 

24 minutes ago, smh00n said:

^^^ Thats what I wanted to do but couldn't find anything suitable. I guess you built this from scratch? I like the fuse block with the LED lights - is that a shelf item or you made it up?

Unfortunately, I had to make the system.  I was working on putting together something I could sell, but have not got that far on it yet.  There really is nothing out there on the market, and I can tell there is large demand.  I am going to rework it this summer and see if I can make it easy enough to sell a kit so others can do it. 

Go to Amazon, you be surprise how many fitting and terminal they carries, I used a 12V 30A automatic reset circuit breaker mounted below the regulator with one 12ga wires from starter relay , and connect all positive feed to the other terminal. It come with two post and plenty thread to stack up the terminals, at same time  offers peace  of mind with breaker in case of short.  I purchased the 12V breaker, inline fuse holder, relays, terminal, shrink tube, splicer, and you need to try the silicone wires (super flexible  and heat resistance). all @ Amazon.