rittenrotton

Turn Signal Switch Help

I have a 70 coupe that is having an issue with the turn signals and brake lights. Long story short, I rewired the car about a year ago with American Autowire and the car was without issues. Then suddenly my brake light fuse started blowing and then my turn signals stopped working. I'm aware it could be a short and when I spoke to american autowire, they advised me to replace my turn signal switch as well as my led flasher (as I have digi-tail led tailights).  But after replacing the turn signal switch and flasher, my taillights stay on and don't flash and my horn doesn't work but the strange part is that my hazards work. .

As far as I know, hazards use a separate flasher and even though the switch for it is on turn signal assy, and it has a separate switch from the turn signal switch. So hazards working means hazard switch on turn signal assy is good.

When you say your tail lights don't flash, do you mean when you signal to one side, that side tail light and front light does not blink but stay on? If that is the case, I would start with the turn signal flasher even though it is new. If both side tail and front signals come on and stay on, there is a problem with the turn signal switch. Reproduction turn signal switches are not known to be quality parts.

If the two pins on the switch for the horn is not long enough and not touching the contacts on the wheel, horn will not work. Also, I believe turn signal switch for 69 is not same as 70 and they do not interchange, the pin locations for horn are different as steering wheel for 69 and 70 are not the same. Make sure you have a 70 switch and 70 steering wheel. 

The fact that your horn does not work tells me you have the turn signal switch wires mixed up.  The horn should have nothing to do with anything you did.  if it worked before and not now, that tells me you have the wires in the "half moon" round connector in the wrong locations.  All it takes is 2 to be in the wrong place, and that could do it. 

The easiest thing for people ( like those at AAW) to suggest is to simply replace things until it starts working, rather than diagnosing the real problem.  If you had diagnosed the real problem, you probably could have saved the cost of a new switch and flasher. 

Part of the trouble is that most of us on this site have no idea of the wires in a AAW harness.  The connections and colors could be completely different from an original Mustang.  From your description, I would guess you have a short somewhere in the brake lights that is blowing the fuse. That will also cause the turn signals to stop working.  I would disconnect the turn signal switch and make sure all of your wires are good first.   I could explain how to do it with a factory harness and bulbs, but with AAW and LED taillihgts, I am not sure where to begin. 

Maybe others can help.    In the mean time verify all the wires to your new switch are in the right places. It seems like you have at least 2 in the wrong place.