Nuzzlet

Taillight LED bulb replacments

Hi. So I'm curious what some of you guys have done to light up your brake lights. I'm thinking of switching everything over to LEDs. Any suggestions or advice?

Today I bought a pair of 1127 LED bulbs for my break lights. They actually seemed to be slightly darker and give a more orange glow to the tail lights then the old bulbs. This seems like a downgrade to me. Do I need to use different power delivery, or am I buying the wrong light?

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

I intend to go with LEDs everywhere except the headlights. It will save lots of power, and lighten the load on all the components and wire. If you're driving a 69 with 5-3/4" headlights, there will probably never be a DOT approved headlight in our size. I'm not familiar enough with the larger 70 headlights to know what's available. If you have a 70 with the odd turn signal arrangement, it will cause problems for LEDs, but I believe there is a vendor that has special LEDs to overcome the problem now, so you won't have to rewire to 69 style sockets to make it work.

I like the ability to have sequential turn tail lights from vendors like Vintage LEDs that use circuit boards and rows of LEDs, but the Plazma bulb from West Coast Classic Cougar is an easy way to brighten up the tail lights by just replacing the bulb and flasher. They have a how-to video to help the electrically challenged.

9 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I went LEDs years ago . One of the best upgrades in my opinion. 

Vintage LEDs look the goods . I like the way you can switch from standard or sequential  with the flick of a switch. 

http://www.vintageleds.com/

Also a Vintage LED convert. The improvement is dramatic. I've had them almost 3 years now with no issues.

If there was one tiny nit to pick based on personal preference is I don't care for how the brake lights light up. They 'sequence' up instead of just lighting all 3 instantly. That said, my friend says he prefers it so it's a simple matter of personal preference. I'm not willing to give up the sequential turn signals to change it though.

I went with LED tail lights and love them. Had to swap out the stock flasher for an LED type ($12). I purchased them through CJ Pony Parts (https://www.cjponyparts.com/led-taillight-assembly-1969/p/TLLED14/) but would not recommend using them as their customer service sucks, don't have time to wait 40+ minutes to talk to someone, however had no problems with this item.

2 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

but would not recommend using them as their customer service sucks, don't have time to wait 40+ minutes to talk to someone, however had no problems with this item.

You certainly won't have that issue with Gary at Vintage LED's. He and I worked through the crazy 1970 side-marker issues like it was his personal car.

I went for the CJPP LEDs. In Australia you can't have the brake lights blinking so I did a little mod. I also added a brake light under the spoiler. Walking past the rear you can't se it until you crouch down. Not for everyone but I want to lessen the chances of a rear ender.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

10 minutes ago, bigmal said:

I went for the CJPP LEDs. In Australia you can't have the brake lights blinking so I did a little mod. I also added a brake light under the spoiler. Walking past the rear you can't se it until you crouch down. Not for everyone but I want to lessen the chances of a rear ender.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Say What !!!!  Maybe in Queensland Mal but over in the West we can run the standard lights just like they came from the factory with the blinking brake lights. Im just spewing i didn't buy the sequential ones from Vintage LEDs . Love the wing tail light by the way. 

4 hours ago, bigmal said:

IMG_0257.JPG

Wow.  amazing work - spoiler LED is awesome.  Now forgive me for being nosey, but that "garage" you've pulled her into... looks more like a living room!?  Maybe you just knocked the wall between garage and living room down?  Congrats if that's simply the garage - nicest one I've seen in awhile.

11 hours ago, Shep69 said:

Say What !!!!  Maybe in Queensland Mal but over in the West we can run the standard lights just like they came from the factory with the blinking brake lights. Im just spewing i didn't buy the sequential ones from Vintage LEDs . Love the wing tail light by the way. 

Hi Mate, I'm in NSW and that's one of our things. Some say the blinker needs to be amber as well, but my engineer and the RTA said that's not the case. Was no biggy to change as I was rewiring a lot of the car anyway.

7 hours ago, JayEstes said:

Wow.  amazing work - spoiler LED is awesome.  Now forgive me for being nosey, but that "garage" you've pulled her into... looks more like a living room!?  Maybe you just knocked the wall between garage and living room down?  Congrats if that's simply the garage - nicest one I've seen in awhile.

Hi mate, no, just the garage. The back wall joins the downstairs living room. I have been working on the misses to nock it to give me more display room. So far I'm not winning that one. I need to keep working on it. Still not likely.

I went with vintage LEDS on one car and my other from mustang project. 

they are both great. these unlike the vintage dont sequence when you brake, only on turn.

https://www.mustangproject.com/Catalog.aspx?category=68642387-6653-4218-935e-89619ca5f35a&sub=f238e982-267e-40ef-96d5-47cd6aad2b01

On 3/12/2020 at 5:07 AM, bigmal said:

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

That's an excellent job of installing the 3rd brake light.