spogshd

Need help choosing disc brakes with no booster

Think I want to go with wilwoods back and front. Car is a 69 originall  a 302 but now has a 428 so not much room for a brake boost as the rocker covers are quite tall.

It has a 9inch rear axle and has 15 inch wheels the current discs are a summit racing one pot drum to disc conversion so a cheap set up.

Has anyone got the same set up i want with no brake boost and are happy with the stopping power.

Craig

Screenshot_2019-12-25-16-11-36-1.png

Oh the irony of having an engine so big that you can't put in good brakes!.....  Good luck - without the extra pressure created by the booster, you're going to need an entirely different kind of MC.  Not sure I have seen one, but there must be one out here somewhere.

I have manual brakes with 17" rims.  They are  Front Baer 13" Pro + 6 piston and rear Baer 13" SS4+  with the integrated drum parking brake .  They are great quality and work really well.  Excellent parking brake.  

Wilwood is coming out with a short version of their master cylinder to cure this issue.

I use late mode Ford Explorer booster with a Ford Ranger Reservoir.   Hooked to 2004 Mustang Cobra brakes front and rear, Baer/Motorsport drilled/slotted rotors Mustang Steve Brackets

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2112.jpg

On 3/10/2020 at 5:33 PM, Vicfreg said:

Wilwood is coming out with a short version of their master cylinder to cure this issue.

I use late mode Ford Explorer booster with a Ford Ranger Reservoir.   Hooked to 2004 Mustang Cobra brakes front and rear, Baer/Motorsport drilled/slotted rotors Mustang Steve Brackets

IMG_3497.jpg

That looks pretty tidy. Is that an Explorer master as well? What Explorer year is the booster off of? and what year is the Ranger reservoir?

You can certainly put a brake booster in there since ford made power disc brakes on 428 mustangs.

Without a booster you will need to run 17 inch rims with the large diameter rotors if you want to be able to stop without having to use 2 feet on the pedal. Also, if you use wilwood brakes, the radial calipers are the best ones they have.

Also use the wide rotors wilwood makes if you use their brakes.

You can also install 2 lb residual valves in the front and rear lines to reduce pedal travel.

@Vicfreg - I'm running the same brake calipers you are although my rotors aren't drilled / slotted.  How do you think the pedal would / will feel w/o power boost?  I'm running a Baer-branded master that @Shaun hooked me up with that looks exactly like the one you've got shown there with the lines on the PS.  I saw where you'd swapped to an Explorer MC with the Ranger reservoir to switch the lines to the DS, I'd like to do the same.

@Machspeed - @Vicfreg is meh on responding to PMs and that's if you can get into his inbox.  I've got his cell and email if you want me to dox him here.  hahahah...j/k Vic, jk.

Nate

front brake.jpg

Hydraulic clutch master.jpg

rear axle.jpg