bryonbush

AAW and Vintage air wiring.

I’m installing the vintage air unit into the vert and questioning who has wired theirs up to an AAW harness. I’ve read in some Camaro forums of guys running the power to VA from AAW from the heater/ac wire. What I can’t find out is if they are keeping in inline fuse that is supplied or just use the fuse in the AAW kit. 

anyone have experience with this? 

Hi Byron.  I have the AAW kit and a new Vintage Air System.

I used AAW wire #50 to feed my Vintage Air system key-on-hot power feed..  AAW Wire #50 is the brown wire that comes from the AC/HEAT fuse in the fuse block, it is in circuit branch #6.   It is intended for the heater feed for the original system.  See the block diagram is below.  It goes to the violet wire in the AAW system.   I did not put 2 fuses in line, I just used a low amperage fuse in my fuse block.   I don't recall an inline fuse in the violet wire.

The Vintage Air large red wire uses an in line circuit breaker, which goes directly to your battery positive.  I left that in, and went directly to one of my power distribution fuse blocks that are fed right from the battery.

Hope this helps.  

IMG_6243.jpg

So, to decipher the above diagram, I just numbered the Vintage Air Connections from top to bottom. So, the 5th connection from the top is where the violet (V1) wire goes to wire #50 (AAW).  The square around the 50 just means it is a connector.

The last connection, #14, is the Vintage Air Red (R1) wire, that goes to my Power Distribution terminal block on my Firewall (PDFW)

I knew you installed yours but also knew that you went to that inside power source from the battery that you made. I'm planning on connecting the violet wire for the key on source from the radio and then using AAW wire #50 to power the VA. Havent made any connections in yet but started to run the wires last night.

Hi Byron. First issue is that if you run the Vintage Air Red wire(s) to the fuse block, you will have the /Vintage Air circuit breaker in line with the AAW fuse.  The purpose of the fuse and circuit breaker in this case is to protect the wiring.  

With respect to why I did not run the main power from the fuse block.   When I talked to the Vintage Air guys, they were insistent that I run the main power feed from the battery.  The concern is that if you run the red wires to the fuse block the fan and compressor cycling on and off can cause noise on your electronics that are also powered from the fuse block.  Going directly to the battery will help with that, the battery acts kinda like a big capacitor and will suppress any fan/compressor induced voltage spikes.

So I ran a dedicated power and ground feed from the battery to the Vintage Air system..