Our 1969 has the original 302 2V engine, C4 auto, and 2:79 gears, that I have upgraded over the years by adding a aluminum intake, Holly 4160 600 cfm carb, full length headers, and dual exhaust. We have owned the car since 1975 and has 120,000 miles on the motor.  It still fires up and runs fine but is starting to smoke some which is probably the valve seals. In any event I have been told it is cheaper to purchase a crate engine than rebuilding the original since it is not a rare engine. 

My question is can someone point me to a decent company. All I want is a 302 with a little more cam, and horsepower. I do not race so  I don't need anything wild, but just a dependable motor. Thanks! 

Check out Tristar engines in Wisconsin.  I just installed a 408 from them, but they have various engine sizes and performance options.  They were great to work with and kept me up to speed throughout the build process.  I have been very happy with the engine, the parts they use  and the customer service. 

No local engine builder available? These blocks are pretty durable and probably still have some cross hatching on the cylinder walls at 120k. Sounds like an intake/cam/heads combo with some new gears in the back would meet your intent...and keep you numbers matching, if you care. 

On my '68, I got a rebuilt 5.0 roller cam short block, and did the rest myself from readily obtainable aftermarket parts. I used the Ford Crate Motor specs, built around the GT40 5.0.  Runs great uses over the counter parts.  I can give you details if you want. Your intake, headers, and carb will bolt right on.

I am not sure, but a whole new motor seems like a lot of work to fix valve seals.  I understand the whole motor could be tired, but the 302 is overall very reliable.  I have one in mine, put new 351 heads on it 5 years ago at 180,000 miles.   If you are happy with the performance and usefulness of a 302, I would fix the one you have and keep your car original.  If you want more power, change to something else.    Changing to a crate motor is probably about the same amount of work as reworking yours.  There is always the option of just fixing the heads.