69Stanger408

Install Gear Remote & Scott Drake Trunk Release

Is there some missing info for wiring up this receiver?

The trunk sol need 12v to operate, With it hooked up fused power on 30.

Trunk lead to 87,  frame ground to 85 and a touch of the + wire to 86 and the trunk should release.

If that works test the amber wire on 85 an hit the button and see if the trunk releases.

15 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Yes, as Bill Clinton would say '"I feel your pain". FYI, the relay is closing (pulling-in) when triggered, not opening, unless of course you have it connected to the normally closed terminal. That's the one I can't quite read as 87x. Switch it just for fun from 87 to 87x. Its a long shot but maybe its marked wrong. If that doesn't do it then you have a bad relay. That's all that's left.

87x is commonly called 87a in a SPDT relay which is connected to 30 when the relay is normally open (NO) (i.e no voltage applied to 86) and not connected when the relay is triggered (closes when voltage is applied to 86). 87a is connected to 30 when no voltage is applied to 86.

A SPST NO Relay has no 87a.

3-4-2020 9-36-56 AM.png

309px-Relay_symbols.svg.png

13 hours ago, aslanefe said:

If there is 0 volts on 87 when not triggered and 0.3 volts when triggered, what would be the failure mechanism of the relay? Looks like the coil side is working as it is pulling, would corrosion on the contact side cause voltage to drop from 12 to 0.3v?

Yes that could be, or just contaminated, or a mechanical failure that doesn't allow the contacts to close. Any auto parts will have one for under 15 bucks.

2 hours ago, Rich Ackermann said:

87x is commonly called 87a in a SPDT relay which is connected to 30 when the relay is normally open (NO) (i.e no voltage applied to 86) and not connected when the relay is triggered (closes when voltage is applied to 86). 87a is connected to 30 when no voltage is applied to 86.

A SPST NO Relay has no 87a.

3-4-2020 9-36-56 AM.png

309px-Relay_symbols.svg.png

I'm well aware of their operation Rick, as I'm an electrical engineer, but it will help inform Stanger and I'm sure it is appreciated.

2 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

Finally got it to work in the following config: 

86 - 12v

87 - 12v

86 - Amber trigger wire from controller

30 - 12v Output to trunk actuator

Thanks to all for the support.

you listed two 86s, I assume the first should be 85

11 minutes ago, 69Stanger408 said:

No diode

11 minutes ago, 69Stanger408 said:

No diode

Comparing your first connection and last,  I think there is a diode inside the relay. Oherwise your first connection should have worked.

10 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Comparing your first connection and last,  I think there is a diode inside the relay. Oherwise your first connection should have worked.

He had a bad relay in the first case, and that explains all his problems getting it to work properly. A diode is only useful on the coil terminals 85 and 86 to short out the backward EMF when the relay is powered down. Dampening the voltage spike would make the drive electronics happier, and last longer.

Is it me or does that appear to be a "China" relay? I don't even give those relays the benefit of a doubt anymore, straight ou tof the box and into the trash they go. If it's not a Bosch or a Potter-Brumfield I won't use it. Seriously, I've had some really stupid issues with China relays.