Topher26041

Long Headers for 69 with 351W

I'm wanting to install long headers on a 69 351W and looking at a set of Doug's D623 (ceramic) and JBA 6612SJS (ceramic). Does anybody have any experience with the fitment of these long headers on a 69 automatic 351W with power steering? The guy at Summit racing is telling me they will fit, but I'm reading comments on the site that they won't if the car has front shock towers because of clearance issues. Any help here? I posted another thread and had several recommend the shorties, but I like the idea of the added power with the long tubes. 

On 2/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, cavboy78 said:

No experience with those headers you have listed. I have the FPA longitudes on my 351w with the borgeson box (slightly larger than stock) and it clears just fine. 

Ahh- finally someone with FPAs. Could you give us more info please- all of this stuff makes a difference: Do you have a 351w? What trans? You have a Borgeson box- so you do have power steering. Whose exhaust system, mufflers, and what size pipes? Do you have stock heads?

I thought there were quite a few running FPAs?! Anyhow, 351w (F4TE), T-5 with MD cable clutch, Borgeson box with Saginaw P/S Pump. Exhaust is the 2.5 Flowmaster kit with h-pipe. I have the RHS 205 heads, which have the dual bolt pattern on the exhaust ports. This is what is really nice about the RHS heads with the FPA longtubes, since they also have the dual bolt pattern. Very easy to bolt up and remove as well. 

A couple of considerations: I do have adjustable motor mounts, which helped on the drivers side with both the cable clutch and the larger borgeson box. Also, i had to fabricate a bracket that bolts to an oil pan bolt and to the cable clutch itself. This helps secure the cable as it passes through the #7 and 8 tubes, which is pretty tight but doable. 

Hope that helps. 

I have FPA 1.750 long tube headers on My 351W mach1 with AFR heads, TCP R&P steering and TKO50).  They fit perfectly.  I really like the ball and socket design on the collectors. I had Hooker Super Comp headers back when I had stock steering and FMX.  They (hooker SC) fit OK but need some collector alignment adjustment with a 2x4 to fit with the FMX. 

14 hours ago, ralt962 said:

I put in the Dougs 3/4 length.  They fit great.  It works with the standard PS bracket.  Not sure about the full length.  

Earlier you said Doug's shorties:

image.png.c57a3b3aa5649bf272590f760a5fc18f.png

so more specifically they are 3/4 length, not shorties?

1969 FORD MUSTANG Doug's Headers D669Y

I was just short cutting .  From Summit Racing they call them Tri Y.  After a couple of years of use they still look great.  Since they dont come out parallel to the group you'll need to fabricate a hookup.  But it wasnt that much of an issue. dou-d669y_xl.jpg?rep=False

33 minutes ago, ralt962 said:

I was just short cutting .  From Summit Racing they call them Tri Y.  After a couple of years of use they still look great.  Since they dont come out parallel to the group you'll need to fabricate a hookup.  But it wasnt that much of an issue.

fyi- Invented by Doug Thorley Headers, the Tri-Y header is designed to match the synchronization of the engine firing order, thereby maximizing exhaust scavenging. This design creates the optimum torque and greatest horsepower gains in comparison to any other design.

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

fyi- Invented by Doug Thorley Headers, the Tri-Y header is designed to match the synchronization of the engine firing order, thereby maximizing exhaust scavenging. This design creates the optimum torque and greatest horsepower gains in comparison to any other design.

I will believe that when  see an independent dyno test.

On 3/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, ralt962 said:

I was just short cutting .  From Summit Racing they call them Tri Y.  After a couple of years of use they still look great.  Since they dont come out parallel to the group you'll need to fabricate a hookup.  But it wasnt that much of an issue. dou-d669y_xl.jpg?rep=False

I'm building my 393w and have heads with square ports and ended up getting these same "tri y" headers from Doug's. I would've loved to been able to afford FPA long tubes but budget rules all. Is there any way tou can upload audio of how these sound? I usually love how long tubes sound and have no idea what to expect with these. You'd be my hero if you could! Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Oh, that is wicked! Is the scoop stock or slightly larger? Is it functional? Very nice Dave.

Scoop is  original  nonfunctional with turn  signal indicators, I posted for Jerry above he wanted to know what the doug's D669y's sounded like. In his case tho with a stroker and if he adds an H or X pipe the note will probably be a little different.

6 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Oh, that is wicked! Is the scoop stock or slightly larger? Is it functional? Very nice Dave.

I thought the same thing Terry. Must be the red instead of flat black that makes it look bigger. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I thought the same thing Terry. Must be the red instead of flat black that makes it look bigger. 

I took a look at mine- I think its the absence of the grille and that big black opening contrasted with the red of the scoop across the top, as you say, but It looks much bigger than mine. Looks super.