Rcodenewf

70 fender extension moulding fitment issues

Trying to install a set of Scott Drake mouldings on the fender extension. These mouldings are so far off that it is impossible to make them fit. They don't fit the opening and are total garbage. I contacted my supplier, who has been excellent all along and he advises that he will replace them but advised that i probably won't be happy with the replacements as they look terrible as well. Says he has had a ton of complaints about them.

This is an original headlight bucket extension so it's not like I'm fighting to get two aftermarket pieces to work together.

Has anyone on the forum run into this? I'm assuming that there is only one or two factories in Taiwan punching these out.

It amazes and floors me as to why, in this day of cnc mills and computers etc that a NOS moulding can't be copied to fit better than these replacements. And..they're not cheap to purchase!

It's not like these need a little bend here and a tweak there....they just don't fit. Frustrating to say the least.

Maybe someone on the forum may have a decent used set i can purchase from them or can point me in the direction of a different supplier of decent parts but these Scott Drake copies just aren't cutting it.

Thanks...John

I have had pretty good luck with NPD trim parts.

The other thing is that you need to make sure your fender extensions are not damaged.   Are they down to bare metal?   I had one that was full of bondo.  

Hello Vicfreg: We've emailed each other before. undamaged original extension and i have another extension here to test with the same results..totally unfit.

I wonder where NPD sources theirs from. If i knew that they guaranteed their fit on an original unmolested extension i would purchase these and have them shipped up to me.

How's your convert coming along?

If not too much trouble can you take a pic of your mouldings installed? thanks..

John

Oh, Hi John

they’re very approachable on the phone, I would just call them and ask them that, and if they don’t fit then send them back.

but they do have a couple original cars I believe they used to check their fitment so I will give it a chance

Hi Vic. I just noticed that you and i were discussing front coil springs in this 70 convert i'm finishing for a friend/customer. I also noticed that my response to you was still sitting in my drafts email :(  Sorry about that.

I'll probably give NPD a call and see what they say. I'd hate to return them as i'm in Canada and it is a royal " pita" to return things as the shipping is costly.

If you have a chance could you send me a few pics of yours installed? thanks a bunch.

John

I usually get my NPD parts from the Florida location. I had fitment issues with the wheel well trim and rocker moulding trim and some other reproduction parts I purchased from them last year. When I called with the issue and asked them if the part I received was the problem or if all the parts they had had the same issues, the sales associate went and checked a bunch of the parts they had in stock and called me back later to telll me they all had the same issue (problem must be the tool).He also told me there was only one manufacturer that manufactures those parts I bought and I can return them if I wanted. I made the parts to fit using shrinker/strecher etc. I have made that shape of trim to fit too some time ago by filling it with molten lead and bending to fit; lead prevents the trim to break/crease. But it is a lot of work and if the cheap repo trim has hard clear anodize on it, you may put tiny cracks on anodize layer at locations you bent.I recommend you call the Florida location (that also houses the owner's hundreds of cars including very low mileage Mustangs), tell them your issue and location and ask them to check the fit of the trim on a reproduction fender extension. They may even have an original fender extension in owner's parts stash that they can check the fit on.

NPD's best fitting fender extension  housing moldings are the Corvex brand. I ordered left and rights for my 69. One side fit great, but the other was way off. When I went to NPD Ventura to pick up my windshield I took the moldings and my fender extension. After discussing the ill fit I found one that fit ok.

Recently I was messing with the fit and then took another look at my original moldings. While they fit perfectly, they both had a couple of dents. After working with them for a few hours with body tools, no visual or irregularities to the touch existed. If you have your original moldings I'd suggest trying to fix the dents, or send them out for repairs. 

20200228_235809.png.32d50b066810848f305d65ba878c309c.png

I appreciate everyones' comments and thanks for the pics. 

Mustangstofear: While tweaking might be attainable, when the complete opening of the moulding is smaller than the bucket there's no way to physically widen the opening without kinking. It's like trying to stretch the letter " C" or a horseshoe open..somethings gotta give and either crack or dent.

..John

4 hours ago, fvike said:

24912682901_7b37c1fe1f_b.jpg

These POS are Corvex. Threw them away, and got original ones from e-bay. They need a little polish work, but they fit perfectly.

yep, they suck, fit really poor and clips are even worse!

5 hours ago, fvike said:

24912682901_7b37c1fe1f_b.jpg

These POS are Corvex. Threw them away, and got original ones from e-bay. They need a little polish work, but they fit perfectly.

This looks like the exact same picture that was posted months ago.  I  posted pictures of Craig's car with the same moldings fitting great. 

9 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

This looks like the exact same picture that was posted months ago.  I  posted pictures of Craig's car with the same moldings fitting great. 

I've posted this before, yes. So best case, Corvex is hit-and-miss quality ?