christopherjuarez602

Need advice on buying Mustang

If you're serious, you've got a lot more criteria to think about --

did you want a project, stock car, modified car...manual, automatic, engine size....

The one you posted is pretty flashy, but ultimately what do you want and how much can you afford.  And once you sort that out, start physically looking at cars and make sure they match your criteria!

The one you pointed out looks great, but so much can be hidden.  If it really is an original red Mach 1 and everything is perfect, it seems like the price is reasonable.  Maybe a bit on the high end of what the car would get in other parts of the country, but maybe correct for where it is.   Is it a true Mach 1?  Does it have a Marty report?  What is the body like?  What are the factory options?   What are the aftermarket features?    I really would question the details when it is listed as a "Coupe"  The seller is really missing knowledge or does not know what is going on.  It obviously is a fastback pretending to be a Mach 1 or a Mach 1. 

In general, any old car will require work if you plan on driving it.  The first step is to know what you are getting into.  These cars are not like going to a dealer and buying it new. If you find one that has had most things upgraded or repaired ( it is never everything), and the body and details are like you want, then pay what you think it is worth.  You can get an idea of what they are worth at several sites, including this one.   If you are serious about a car and want opinions, you can ask this forum.   

If you want advice on this particular one, I would ask again with the subject line something like " Need advice on what you think the value of this car is" 

I agree with Mach1Rider. Be very careful when buying. A good body man can cover up rust with filler, icing, block it and paint it to look very nice to the untrained buyer. If you know a body man or someone very knowledgeable on old Mustangs take them with you.  

On 3/1/2020 at 10:58 PM, Mach1Rider said:

Pretty lipstick on a pig. Sorry too much for what it is trying to be.

I would keep looking as there are many flaws in just the few photos posted in the ad for the amount wanted.

This is interesting, what are the flaws you see?   I noticed the emblem on the hood scoop not original, and that implies a lot of other stuff might not be  Mach 1.  Also has modifications like an aftermarket radiator and air conditioner compressor.  Nothing wrong with that, but it needs to be considered.  I also noticed the underside covered with some texture finish and painted black.  It looks fine, but that could be covering some serious flaws. 

What did you see?   Would you think if this was a real Mach 1, and the body was very good ( no repaired damage) or perfect, that the price could be reasonable. 

Wait a minute, stop everything.  We know the seller, he is on the forum!  It is lilmike. I know he talked about selling his, and this is it.  I would say ask him, he should be trust-able.  That raises my confidence that he is not hiding anything. The price seems more reasonable now that we know the seller.   Ask him if it is a real Mach 1 or if he has the Marti, maybe he is monitoring the forum? 

It's priced high but looks like it's been loved. The small details like the trans cooling hose routing and the trunk metal work looks to me as if someone has spent time on it and not rushed whacking it back together.

I always ask myself can I build a better car for the same money?

1 hour ago, danno said:

Wait a minute, stop everything.  We know the seller, he is on the forum!  It is lilmike. I know he talked about selling his, and this is it.  I would say ask him, he should be trust-able.  That raises my confidence that he is not hiding anything. The price seems more reasonable now that we know the seller.   Ask him if it is a real Mach 1 or if he has the Marti, maybe he is monitoring the forum? 

I wondered about that. I had seen the custom badging on the scoop before but couldn’t remember if it was on a member here or on VMF....too many forums to keep track of!

4 hours ago, danno said:

This is interesting, what are the flaws you see?   I noticed the emblem on the hood scoop not original, and that implies a lot of other stuff might not be  Mach 1.  Also has modifications like an aftermarket radiator and air conditioner compressor.  Nothing wrong with that, but it needs to be considered.  I also noticed the underside covered with some texture finish and painted black.  It looks fine, but that could be covering some serious flaws. 

What did you see?   Would you think if this was a real Mach 1, and the body was very good ( no repaired damage) or perfect, that the price could be reasonable. 

details may be minor but the radio fitment is poor, many of the things you pointed out plus the trunk area concerns me. price is what anyone is willing to pay.

The amount always comes down to the details and closer look.

8 hours ago, danno said:

Yep, here's the thread ...

On 3/15/2020 at 10:37 PM, dream car said:

I got a feeling the price of classic and collector car price going to drop just like stock market. I will wait.

You are right, it has before on other recessions.  The trouble is this crisis could be over in a few months, and we are back on the happy days again.   Make an offer, you never know.  

You can't build that car for the asking price. Well, I couldn't anyway. I started with an ok driver for $2,500, the body work and paint was just $4k. I stopped counting at $40k.