Sign in to follow this  
1969Boss302

1969 boss 302 no spark

I have a 1969 boss 302. It has been sitting for around a year. I changed the oil and changed plugs. Now have tried to crank. I am receiving no spark from the coil determined coil was bad. Replaced coil with a MSD Blaster 2. Still no spark when grounded coil through distributor. Manually Grounded coil to battery neg. Now I have spark and it has good spark. Checked my points and they are good and clean. Replaced my condenser. Still no fire when grounded though the distributor. Have spark when grounded to battery neg. What am i missing?

8 hours ago, 1969Boss302 said:

I have a 1969 boss 302. It has been sitting for around a year. I changed the oil and changed plugs. Now have tried to crank. I am receiving no spark from the coil determined coil was bad. Replaced coil with a MSD Blaster 2. Still no spark when grounded coil through distributor. Manually Grounded coil to battery neg. Now I have spark and it has good spark. Checked my points and they are good and clean. Replaced my condenser. Still no fire when grounded though the distributor. Have spark when grounded to battery neg. What am i missing?

Check to see if your distributor and/or engine is grounded.

22 hours ago, 1969Boss302 said:

When you manually grounded the coil to the battery neg and had good spark, try grounding it to a good ground on the engine.  This will tell you if the engine is grounded correctly. 

The problem could also be the points or condenser.   I am not sure if this works, but connect the coil to a spark plug instead of the distributor. Then open and close the points and see if you get spark.  This bypasses the distributor, but checks the points for proper connection.  

Randy, will this work to check the coil and points without using the distributor. 

12 hours ago, 1969Boss302 said:

The only grounds I see is where the distributor is bolted to the block and the block has the negative battery cable ran to it on the front of bank 1 head

DD6E2390-736B-4F87-A776-3B3C259389A4.jpeg

You need to check with an ohm meter; what if there is corrosion on the battery cable lug or engine block where the lug is attached, or the connection is loose.Also, there should be another ground from back of passenger side cylinder head to cowl. Check continuity from battery negative to engine block, to chassis and to distributor using an ohm meter. If you had a slight loose connection, one year of sitting might have caused corrosion on that loose connection breaking the ground. I think this is the case as when you manually ground the coil to battery, you get spark. May be the points is the problem even though it looks clean. By checking continuity between battery negative you can pin point the component/connection  where you loose the ground.

Regardless of what the fix is, you should add a ground cable from the engine to the body of the car.  This is just a little extra insurance that everything electrical on the car will have a good path to the negative battery terminal.

I don't understand the description of when grounding the coil to the battery a spark is created?  Are you getting the spark at the moment you remove the ground?  That's when it should occur.  You are certain there is 12V to the coil while cranking?

If there are 12V to the coil while cranking and the coil is good, while cranking connect a test light between the negative side of the coil and ground, the light should blink while cranking.  If the light stays off, the points and condenser are not breaking open the ground circuit.  If the light stays on, the points and condenser are not closing the ground circuit.  Either way, if the light doesn't blink, it is something with the points, condenser, or wire to the points from the coil.

Does you Boss 302 still have the factory rev limiter installed?  I don't know how those operated, but just asking.