Flanders

JBA shorty header help

I need some help and advice.  I'm putting in a set of JBA shorty headers, 1653S on 351W (4spd).  The passenger side has loads of room (as expected) but the drivers side is tight tight tight.

To get the header into place, I removed the engine mount bolt on the drivers side and jacked up the engine (with 2x4 under oil pan).  When I lower the engine back down into place, the header will touch the steering box.  I've attached a picture -- there is 1/16" clearance with about 1/2" to go before the engine mount bolt lines up.  I'm scared to lower it anymore for fear of scraping off the ceramic coating.

This is too close for my comfort.  What's typically done to resolve header clearance issues?  Adjustable engine mounts? (any recommendations?) I need to move engine over by maybe 1/4", not sure if that's going to pooch my driveline angle or my z-bar fitment.

Also, the outlet of the header is at quite the interesting angle too -- it's going to be quite the custom downpipe to clear the steering.  Will rack and pinion make routing easier? (I'm open to suggestions here to start my research on what I'd need...but seems like an expensive solution to header fitment :) )

Help! 

20200222_152253.jpg

I am also running the JBA 1653s headers. Mine seem to have about a 1/4" clearance at that point from the header to shock tower. Is it possible that your shock towers are sagging in at that point. Are you running an export brace to stiffen it up? I am also using the JBA H pipe. It fit well, although tight around the lower clutch adjustment rod. I also had to make a p/s drop bracket to lower the slave cylinder about 3/4" JBA Said you should not have to, but with the stock bracket it would not fit. On the plus side I have been running the headers for about 10 years, still look like new and no leaks. 

Thanks for feedback.  When I first got the car I had to get the frame straightened out so it wouldn't surprise me if things are still a bit "off".  I had actually forgotten about this!  I've ordered the JBA H pipe so we'll see how that fits.  I'm going to order the Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts too, so I can move things over by 1/4".  Thanks again!

I have the same motor and JBA 1653S headers.  There is about 1/4" clearance between the header tube and the larger Borgeson power steering box.  With the stock steering box there was a lot of clearance, at least 1/2".

Maybe it's just the picture, but, something looks out of sort with the steering box and column relationship.  They don't seem to be aligned very well.  I'd look a little closer at the issue before installing adjustable motor mounts and putting a band aid on top of a band aid.  Something could be slightly off with the header causing your issue.  It wouldn't take much error at the cylinder head flange area of the header to cause your clearance issue.

Does you car have factory power steering?  If so, you'll notice the drivers side header collector directly above and pointing down at the power steering ram.

As a side note I used the JBA exhaust system also, as I wanted to do the complete install at home. The fit and finish of the system was very good, easy install. Only problem was, it was loud. Sounded great, but on the highway, not fun after a while. After one season I swapped out the mufflers for a set of Dynomax super turbo . Much better now. 

Maybe it's just the picture, but, something looks out of sort with the steering box and column relationship.  They don't seem to be aligned very well.  I'd look a little closer at the issue before installing adjustable motor mounts and putting a band aid on top of a band aid.  Something could be slightly off with the header causing your issue.  It wouldn't take much error at the cylinder head flange area of the header to cause your clearance issue.

I think it's just the picture.  The column and box are lined up nicely.  I'll double check the exhaust port flange area to make sure it's mating correctly, but I suspect this might be all related to my car's frame needing re-aligning several years ago.  And "yes" to power steering -- the drivers side header collector does point right down on the steering ram, so in theory the JBA mid-pipes will get around that.  We shall see!

10 hours ago, Flanders said:

I think it's just the picture.  The column and box are lined up nicely.  I'll double check the exhaust port flange area to make sure it's mating correctly, but I suspect this might be all related to my car's frame needing re-aligning several years ago.  And "yes" to power steering -- the drivers side header collector does point right down on the steering ram, so in theory the JBA mid-pipes will get around that.  We shall see!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's noticed the drivers side location of the collector.  When I had factory power steering I couldn't see a path for the exhaust with the power steering ram and stock clutch linkage.  I spoke to JBA about it, they responded like they have never seen or heard of such a condition like that.

I'm curious if the JBA mid-pipe with fit around both the power steering ram and the stock clutch linkage.  Let us know how it fits.

I just put in the Borgeson box while I had the engine out for a rebuild and tweak. I am using Scott Drake sorties when I put it back together next week.  Am I likely to need a change of motor mt. to clear the driver side? 

The headers look very similar.

I thought I'd wrap up this thread --

I put in the Ron Morris adjustable mounts, loosened off all the transmission crossmember bolts, and managed to pry my engine over about 3/16"-1/4".  Previously, the header was touching the steering box.  Now, I've a gap!  Success!  The attached picture of the mount is the drivers side before I "moved" the engine over towards passenger side.

I've got the JBA mid-pipes, so I'll put those in soon.  They look pretty good, just need to see how much clearance I've got over a rubber boot on my steering ram (it will clear it, but I don't want boot near the pipe!).  Gotta check my z-bar too, might need to order the JBA one as well.

20200418_214331.jpg

20200421_191838.jpg

13 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but gotta ask......you fellas that installed the  Borgeson box, I'd love to see how you routed your hoses?  

I had to get a longer pressure hose made and purchased a longer piece of return hose.  Routed the hoses same as what Borgeson hoses are set up for.  But with longer hoses I moved them up higher over the JBA headers to keep them away from heat.  If you don't have a manual trans with stock clutch linkage you can route the hoses underneath.  I have a 351W with a manual trans and stock linkage so I also had to modify the Z-bar to clear the hoses.  It was a pain, I wouldn't do the Borgeson conversion again on a manual trans car.  

No there is no contact with the headers. 

If you have or are worried about contact you could tether them to the shock tower.

As for me, I positioned the hoses, torqueing them away from the exhaust before tightening the fittings

1 hour ago, Mystang said:

No there is no contact with the headers. 

If you have or are worried about contact you could tether them to the shock tower.

As for me, I positioned the hoses, torqueing them away from the exhaust before tightening the fittings

Thanks! You like your Borgeson set up?