SSBC Disc brakes woes

Not sure if you all know but it seems like SSBC went belly up I have been running their Com R kit for years loved it. But now I have a seized caliper and don’t have a way to rebuild it. So it seems I will be going OEM+ now. FML more $ down the drain

In any case, is there a vehicle that has bolt on brakes that are bigger than the stock ones? I want to be able to service this in the future and not be locked into and aftermarket company. I’m open to ideas that do NOT include Wilwood.

thanks!

Friend - 

For the front on my '69, I bought 70+ drum spindles for the big bearing.  I then bought a MustangSteve Cobra bracket set and bolted those onto the stock spindles.  Those will accept 94-04 Cobra 13" rotors and calipers to match OR you could bolt on anything that interchanges with that series Cobra caliper and rotor (think Baer, etc.).  You might need to source caliper bracket bolts - Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

For the rear, I bought a set of brackets from Currie that go over the rear bearings and serve to retain the axles on my 8" rear.  They let you bolt on a set of 94-04 Cobra brake calipers and rotors for the rear.  I'm using a Lokar universal style parking brake cable set and handle to match.

This gives you factory calipers and rotors and sometimes you can find good used stuff on Craigslist.

Alternatively, you could look for Granada parts but I felt like the newer Cobra brakes would be better than something from the mid-70s...

Nathan

Edited by stangman69

2 hours ago, stangman69 said:

Friend - 

For the front on my '69, I bought 70+ drum spindles for the big bearing.  I then bought a MustangSteve Cobra bracket set and bolted those onto the stock spindles.  Those will accept 94-04 Cobra 13" rotors and calipers to match OR you could bolt on anything that interchanges with that series Cobra caliper and rotor (think Baer, etc.).  You might need to source caliper bracket bolts - Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

For the rear, I bought a set of brackets from Currie that go over the rear bearings and serve to retain the axles on my 8" rear.  They let you bolt on a set of 94-04 Cobra brake calipers and rotors for the rear.  I'm using a Lokar universal style parking brake cable set and handle to match.

This gives you factory calipers and rotors and sometimes you can find good used stuff on Craigslist.

Alternatively, you could look for Granada parts but I felt like the newer Cobra brakes would be better than something from the mid-70s...

Nathan

no sh!t? That's GREAT to know. How do I know if i got the "big bearing" spindles for 1970 when i buy them? is that a naming thing? Thanks Nathan!

Yes, the 70-73 spindles are referred to as big bearing spindles.  Use the drum versions, not the disc versions.  If you can find assembled spindles with hubs and rotors that would be good because you will need the hub.  You can always buy brand new if you can't find good used.  You'll need the spindles, bearings and the hub and you'll source the brackets from MustangSteve (or someone else but I recommend Steve) and the Cobra calipers and rotors.  You'll need to adapt a flexible brake line to your new calipers.  I measured and used universal braided SS from Earls with adapters at each end.

https://www.ebay.com/str/mustangsteveperformance

There's a guy in Oxford, NC that parts out vintage Fords.  I bought spindles from him years ago.  Check the Raleigh area Craigslist postings.  Let me know if you want me to try to source anything for you, I'm in the Wake Forest area.

I can try to get some pictures of my setup if you'd like.

Nate

11 hours ago, stangman69 said:

Yes, the 70-73 spindles are referred to as big bearing spindles.  Use the drum versions, not the disc versions.  If you can find assembled spindles with hubs and rotors that would be good because you will need the hub.  You can always buy brand new if you can't find good used.  You'll need the spindles, bearings and the hub and you'll source the brackets from MustangSteve (or someone else but I recommend Steve) and the Cobra calipers and rotors.  You'll need to adapt a flexible brake line to your new calipers.  I measured and used universal braided SS from Earls with adapters at each end.

https://www.ebay.com/str/mustangsteveperformance

There's a guy in Oxford, NC that parts out vintage Fords.  I bought spindles from him years ago.  Check the Raleigh area Craigslist postings.  Let me know if you want me to try to source anything for you, I'm in the Wake Forest area.

I can try to get some pictures of my setup if you'd like.

Nate

The guy in Oxford is Scotty Strickland. I have bought parts from him. He has a ton of cars and is very helpful. 

15 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I used the Mustang Steve kit and sourced some NOS Mustang Cobra brake calipers and Ford Motorsport drilled/slotted rotors.  Nice setup.

FullSizeRender.jpg

@Vicfreg beat me to it posting the picture.  That's nearly identical to what I'm running.  Except I don't have the pretty rotors.  Mine are used.  :P

I have 69 drum spindles. I had to press the backer plate of the hub.  I went with mustang Steve's GT brake brackets.  If I remember right, I bought 2007 gt calibers (take offs) from ebay for about 125 shipped with pads.  They came with the caliper brackets and all.  I sourced rotors from some place, but they are 2007 rotors.  All and all for brackets, calipers, rotors and all I got about 500 in the complete set.  

The Steve kit came with centering ring that goes on the hub and fills the gap between the rotor and the hub.