Mike65

AAW wire harness question.

I need a little help here from anyone who is using the AAW wiring harness in their Mustang. I was hooking up the under hood wiring on the engine & have a question, I hooked the black wire, & the black w/white stripe wire from the Pertronix ignition box to the coil, & I have a white wire # - 121 in the AAW wiring harness under the hood that says coil - tach. In the AAW wiring harness description it says "this can be connected directly to the tach terminal on a typical HEI distributor, to the negative side of the coil, or a tach connection in an aftermarket ignition modukle such as a MSD module". Would I hook it to the coil, or would I hook it to the gray tach wire from the Pertronix ignition box?. Any help you guys could give me would be very much appreciated.  Here is a link to the AAW wiring harness diagrams, https://smhttp-ssl-87263.nexcesscdn.net/pub/media/productattachments/files/92969421_510177_IN_10.0.pdf wire # - 121 is on page # - 4

here is a link to the Pertronix ignition box wiring diagrams, https://pertronix.com/media/wysiwyg/InstallationManual.pdf   page #- 2 diagram # - 6 is the one I am using since I have the Pertronix II distributor. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.  Mike.

Edited by Mike65

Be careful here: anytime they mention tach wire going to the - side of the coil, they are talking about all tachs that are NOT factory Ford tachs.  Ford tachs are wired very differently...Henry did that just because he could.

We're not has happy with AAW anymore.  They use to make  changes from our recommendation, now that they hired an ex Ford bean counter they suck. They went back to putting the fuse in the middle of the firewall. It's easier to get to where we install it on the left side of the kick panel . Unfortunately they shorten up all the wires  to reduce their cost and they won't reach now.

7 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

We're not has happy with AAW anymore.  They use to make  changes from our recommendation, now that they hired an ex Ford bean counter they suck. They went back to putting the fuse in the middle of the firewall. It's easier to get to where we install it on the left side of the kick panel . Unfortunately they shorten up all the wires  to reduce their cost and they won't reach now.

That is not what I was asking, I already have the harness installed with the fuse box mounted to the l/s of the firewall & all the wires reach where they need to go, so your comments do noting but side track my post.

@Mike65 - Mike, I for one, found the comment helpful and somewhat concerning as I accumulate notes for my own pending AAW installation in the next month or couple.  Slightly off topic?  Sure, arguably, but let's don't get our drawers in a wad.  Lot's more important things we could fight about.

Having said that, do you have the VHX gauges in hand yet?  How do you like them?  I'm leaning that way myself.

@mustangstofear - now you tell me AAW is questionable...where were you when I needed that tidbit of information a couple months ago?  :)  I was going entirely on @Vicfreg 's recommendation.  :)

Mike65, I'd use the tach  gray wire from the Pertronix box., and connect to the AAW white #121. The Pertronix manual you linked states:

Tach wires should never be connected directly to the coil when using the Digital HP Mobile ignition system.

This is also how I wired my tach to the Crane HI6 iginition box I have. But I haven't run it yet, so I can't verify, but I don't see how it could be wrong.

mustangstofear, looking at the wiring diagram for the 69 harness it looks like the fuse box still mounts in the stock locatiom,

stangman69, No I do not have the VHX gauges yet,

fvike, thanks for the info.

17 hours ago, stangman69 said:

@Mike65 - Mike, I for one, found the comment helpful and somewhat concerning as I accumulate notes for my own pending AAW installation in the next month or couple.  Slightly off topic?  Sure, arguably, but let's don't get our drawers in a wad.  Lot's more important things we could fight about.

Having said that, do you have the VHX gauges in hand yet?  How do you like them?  I'm leaning that way myself.

@mustangstofear - now you tell me AAW is questionable...where were you when I needed that tidbit of information a couple months ago?  :)  I was going entirely on @Vicfreg 's recommendation.  :)

I agree that the information that was provided is informative for those browsing the forum about wiring harnesses and what may be a shortcoming for this particular brand.

I have a Snickers bar if anyone needs one. 

Mike, I have the AAW install with the VHX box, and Pertronix DHP ignition and FiTech.  I ran the car yesterday, had a clean tach signal going to my EFI system

My AAW wire #121 goes to my DHP box grey wire, my FiTech, and my VHX box.   This is the common square wave tach signal that is generated by the DHP box.   Wire #121 is in circuit branch 5, connector F, on the AAW harness.  Since I am not using an original style dash, I ran the #121 wire directly to my VHX box tach input.

My block diagram numbering is a convention I chose to use. So, I numbered each connection sequentially so I could keep track of them.   So, "P12" is just the 12th connection on the DHP box.  

in my case, I am not using the FiTech to do anything but fuel injection, so I use that wiring arrangement, shown in the FiTech literature.. For the DHP box, I am using a Pertronix III distributor, so I follow that wiring arrangement shown in the Pertronix literature.

I have attached my excel spreadsheet.  The last tabs are the block diagrams.

Every AAW wire is tabulated.  Use "Control F" to find the wire number you are looking for.    

There are small blocks on my diagrams that have a letter in them.  For instance on the DHP block diagram, there is a box with an "I" in it.  That is a connector number (I for Ignition)

There is a separate tab on the spreadsheet which shows every connector pin out and what wire numbers go there.

I am travelling for the upcoming weekend.  you can call me next week if you want.  PM me for my #

I am very happy with my AAW kit.  

Vic, Thanks for the info & the spreadsheet. I tried to send you a PM for your number so I can call you & it said you can not accept PM's. Try to send me a PM with your number & let me after when next week to call you.

Mike.