Sign in to follow this  
cobra445jet

Strud Rod Bushings

Need advice on strut rod bushings for my 69. Should I go with the poly or stock rubber type? What brand should I go with?I don't care about high speed cornering just a nice ride. Im more of a straight line performance guy. Are the strut rods adjustable in a 69? 

Solid adjustable rod ends are preferred by many as it keeps the lower control arm where it belongs. Full rubber is too flexible (imo) and (some say) full poly too stiff and might break the strut rod at the threads.

I've read where one poly half and one rubber half were used on each side for a happy medium. I have rod ends and like them. 

42 minutes ago, RPM said:

Solid adjustable rod ends are preferred by many as it keeps the lower control arm where it belongs. Full rubber is too flexible (imo) and (some say) full poly too stiff and might break the strut rod at the threads.

I've read where one poly half and one rubber half were used on each side for a happy medium. I have rod ends and like them. 

Has anyone heard of the bushings made from synthetic elastomer. Suppose to be softer than the poly and stiffer than the rubber? 

I've heard of synthetic elastomer bushings.  I believe that is what's installed in the Scott Drake spring perches that have free rotation.  They seem to work fine for me.  If you find strut rod bushings made from that material, it might be a nice compromise.

You might want to look at Strut Rod Bushings from Performance Suspension Technologies.  They have Graphite Impregnated Polyurethane strut rod bushings.  I used them for my sway bar bushings.  I can't comment on the performance because my car isn't on the road yet, but the graphite is supposed to help prevent squeaking.

https://p-s-t.com/i-23160483-polygraphite-front-strut-rod-bushing-set.html#!year%3D1969||make%3DFORD||model%3DMUSTANG

+1 on changing over to solid type adjustables with a joint.  I got mine from Rosehill performance and they made a huge difference.  I think you can't go wrong with open tracker or street or tracks either.  TCP also used to sell them I think.

If you really want a change go with roller spring perches and lower control arms.