Rcodenewf

Hood scoop wiring 70 convert

Just wrapping up this 70 convert build and have installed the hood scoop option with signals in the rear. I note the scoop harness I have is the same part number for 69 and 70. However the jumper harness  that my vendor supplied has 3 pins where it intercepts the turn signal harnesses at the front and the turn signals on the 70 only have two. Harness is a 'go between' the turn signals at the front and runs back along the shock tower and connects to the hood scoop wiring.

Anyone run into this before? Thanks..John

You're confusing two different designs, but have the actual hood lamp harness the same.  One year (69), the system had pigtails between the front lamp socket plugs and the headlight harness, routing a 2 pin plug up towards the hood.  This harness has two sets of 3 pin plugs acting as pigtails.   In 70, that wiring was made integral, so the 2 pin plug was part of the headlight harness.  Each mates with the hood lamp harness. 

Thanks for the prompt response Midlife. Yep, the hood harness for 69 and 70 is the same. So you're saying the harness i have with both 3 pin jumper pigtails can't be used of course and yes it is labelled 1969.

And is what you are saying is that the stock 70 harness running along the shock tower already has a plug in to accomodate the hood signals..am i reading you correct when you say it is 'integral' ? Thanks..John

Hello. I did that and as expected ( As i just had the harness apart and rewrapped) there is no plugin for the lights. The first plugin is for the prop valve switch..it wraps around the shock tower and then there's the w/w plug.

I just looked at the schematic and i can see that the green/white wire in the underhood harness should connect to the left signal bulb of the hood scoop and the white/blue wire should connect to the right hood scoop bulb.

Again, i checked out the wiring harness and there is not a plug to mate up to the hood scoop wiring. So, i guess i'll remove the harness along the shock tower and splice in the two wires to a new socket that will mate up to the hood scoop wiring...all i can do.

I think it's safe to say that not all 70's came with that plug or else this car is an oddball..lol.

Not sure what else to tell ya Thanks again for the help..John

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

It could be a running change in 1970.  If so, you can use the 1969 separate pigtail version without an issue.

Not unless i change back to 3 pin park lights right as the 70 parklites are two pin.

And..I just noticed that not only is the park light a 2 pin connector so obviously the 70 wiring harness also has the 2 pin connector to hook to it. This will make it impossible to use that 69 'jumper style' wiring harness which has 3 pin connectors.

So i guess i'll be cutting into the harness just short of the green plug and tying into the two signal wires and call it a day.

John

Ah, you're right.  My bad.  I've got lots of good 70 headlight harnesses for $100, refurbished, $75 if you turn in yours as a core.  Probably easier than cutting...

Who knows, I may have a 70 pigtail harness for the hood lamps laying around.  Send me a PM if interested.