7TFastback

New Member, South Louisiana

Hello all, I just found this forum and I am looking forward to finding lots of information. Glad to find folks how love the same cars we love.

We bought our 1st mustang 9 months ago, we found a affordable driver quality car we can enjoy. Marti report says it was a Grabber package in Grabber Green with white interior, 302 Auto, AC, PB, PS car.

We bought it just like this painted 69 Silver Jade, we added Vintage Air AC. It has a built up 351c 4VCC,  FItech fi, nice comp flat tappet hydro cam. 

Looking forward to sharing and learning.

Jeff

IMG_4112(1).jpg

20200201_093152.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:01 AM, Caseyrhe said:

Welcome to the forum. Good looking car. Lots of good honest helpful folks With tons of knowledge here at your finger tips. 

Thanks looking forward to learning from you guys.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:22 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

Welcome to the forum. That's a very good looking car. I don't recall ever seeing that side stripe before. Are they reflective? That's what I don't like about mine. Do you know your wheel and tire sizes?

Thanks, those are Twister Stripes, non reflective, I removed the Twister Logo from the rear fender. the previous owner installed those, it originally was grabber Green with the reflective C stripes from the factory.

The front tires are Nitto 245 40 R18 on American Racing Torque Thrust II and the rears are 275 35 R20, I do not Know the back space yet, I have not removed them.

19 hours ago, RPM said:

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking 70, doesn't look like much is needed. Grabber Green or Silver Jade work for me. 

Thanks, much appreciated. Much of the work is done, some knick knack stuff but eventually i will need to address some floor pan issues and cowl issues, right now we will enjoy it, she runs great.

4 hours ago, 7TFastback said:

Thanks, those are Twister Stripes, non reflective, I removed the Twister Logo from the rear fender. the previous owner installed those, it originally was grabber Green with the reflective C stripes from the factory.

The front tires are Nitto 245 40 R18 on American Racing Torque Thrust II and the rears are 275 35 R20, I do not Know the back space yet, I have not removed them.

Thanks for the info. I may have seen twister stripes previously, but without the twister in the back it wasn't apparent what you had, since it still says Mach1. I found a vendor (Graphics Express) with standard stripes that are non-reflective gloss black- is that what you have, or are yours a matte/flat finish?

I get why people are changing to the bigger wheels and tires with shorter side walls- I know you can't do a comparison, but I'm wondering if the ride seems stiff or bumpy?  Those should definitely handle better than traditional wheels and tires, and may even be less expensive.

9 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Thanks for the info. I may have seen twister stripes previously, but without the twister in the back it wasn't apparent what you had, since it still says Mach1. I found a vendor (Graphics Express) with standard stripes that are non-reflective gloss black- is that what you have, or are yours a matte/flat finish?

I get why people are changing to the bigger wheels and tires with shorter side walls- I know you can't do a comparison, but I'm wondering if the ride seems stiff or bumpy?  Those should definitely handle better than traditional wheels and tires, and may even be less expensive.

The stripes are mate/flat finish. i really like the look and handling of the low profile tires but they do give a very stiff ride and in a 50 year old car fairly noisy. when i do the floor pan work i will add sound deadening.

i priced replacement tires and should be able to get them for around $200 a tire. The 18" & 20" rims seem a little pricey but it handles great. i am looking into rolling the rear fender lips so i can drop the rear 2", its a little too high for my taste. The front fenders are already rolled.

Jeff, welcome.

Any lessons learned/hints on the FiTech startup?  I am at that point with my 393 stroker '70 convertible.   I've had some issues with cold and hot start.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vic

Vic, I have the Holley Sniper EFI.  Cold or hot it can start hard unless I wait for the fuel pump to build pressure before turning the starter. I just turn on the key, listen for the pump to come on, then turn off. This lets me know I have full pressure and it's ready to start. This seems to improve my starting issues.

Other than that, I love the improved reliability of the EFI. Also 'Ruby' doesn't fill my garage with gas smell like she used to.

Karl

IMG_0117.JPG

Vic, I bought the car with the FItech installed. I have been reading on a few forums about tuning but have  not fiddled with it much, I found some youtube videos and info on a chevelle forum also.  It does start well cold and hot, so far I love it.  Sorry I dont have much info right now.

Another 70 Grabber :). Welcome to the club.

I have Sniper on mine too, great system drives like a modern. Only hassle is waiting the 2-3 seconds for the system to prime and boot up before you start it.

I followed the instructions to the letter and from first start have never had any issue with it.

9 minutes ago, smh00n said:

I have Sniper on mine too, great system drives like a modern. Only hassle is waiting the 2-3 seconds for the system to prime and boot up before you start it.

I'd say that 2-3 second wait is well worth the trade off vrs. a carb.

Thanks Guys.   I will be doing a retune in a few weeks, will let you know.  Mine ran great once I got it started.  Call to FiTech revealed some set up items that were not in their literature. Once I try it out and have no starting issues, I will post the set up and results.

54 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I'd say that 2-3 second wait is well worth the trade off vrs. a carb.

Damn straight. I have a brand new AED 650 double pumper here I was going to put on, but couldn't be bothered with either trying to learn how to set jets or taking it to get tuned. And now I can adjust most parameters from the driver seat.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, smh00n said:

Another 70 Grabber :). Welcome to the club.

I followed the instructions to the letter and from first start have never had any issue with it.

Thanks!

Yup the fuel injection is awesome.

buenavides1 ,  I don't know how old you are or how long Grampa had the car. 

I do know that the car can't be replaced once it's gone. you could get another car, but not Grandpas car. The money you might get for the car is not worth the loss you would feel .

But don't take my word for it ask some other members on the forum what sentimental value a car can hold.

I hear the same story over and over at car shows and cruse ins, "My Dad" or "I had a car like that, I wish I had kept it."  I've even heard stories of people searching for years to find and repurchase a car they sold and wanted back.

I'm in the latter category, still trying to find the 69 Firebird sport convertible I sold 25 years ago.

I would love to hear more about 'Grandpas' car.