Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Heater hose firewall grommets.

On my 69 non-A/C Coupe I went to install the heater hoses & saw they were loose fitting to the holes in the firewall so I ordered the heater hose firewall grommets.  Has anyone ever installed these, because I can not get them in the firewall holes like the grommets are to big. Also the grommets do not fit over the heater hose, it seems the hole in the grommets seem like they are the same size as the heater hose, which is 5/8". Anyone have any ideas?. Here is a link to the grommets. https://www.npdlink.com/product/grommet-set-heater-hose-firewall-pair-of-grommets/103114?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dheater%2Bhose%2Bgrommets%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1969&year=1969

I have found that dropping grommets in to hot water for a few minutes help to install a flexible rubber than a stiff.

To thread the hose thru, apply a few drops of liquid soap to the hose, this allows hose to slide in without binding the grommets.

What heater hose are you using? I found that Napa Gold and Gates green stripe (which are the best imo) have a slightly larger outer diameter than basic heater hose. I was able to get the hose through the grommets (old ones) and to the heater box, but required some soapy water and brute force.