RogerC

69 SuperCoupe

Haven't been doing a whole lot. I plan to drop off my heads July 3rd. I've bought new Manley valves, Howards valve springs, seals, roller rockers and roller cam. Damn cam went up almost $200 since the first of the year. I want to pull the block, strip it and drop it off to get cleaned and checked to make sure it doesn't need bored. In the mean time I'm working on some small stuff. Had the kitchen redone in 21 but the contractor messed up the flooring. That's finally getting replaced next month (not by the contractor) so house stuff is taking priority.

I made a new throttle cable bracket for the engine. I've developed a tremor in my right hand so the welds aren't very pretty. Will have to do something about that. Here's the intake/carb mocked up.

IMG-1556.jpg

IMG-1557.jpg

I hate it when life gets in the way of Mustangs. Regarding welding torch shake, when using a mig and after getting the pieces tacked together, use your off hand at the end of the torch to steady the path of the weld.

When using tig, if you've laid down an ugly bead, go over the bead a second time with your torch hand as close to the cup as you can get. You can also steady the torch using your off hand. 

Got a new complete wiring harness (American Autowire) for when I'm ready to install. Also got a Nu-Relics electric window kit. It was about $100 cheaper from MCB parts (chevy) than CJPP for the same kit. The machine shop is still working on my heads. I checked in last week and since mine wasn't a big priority they were working other jobs first. I expect them to be done next week.

732518817_WireHarness.thumb.jpg.6ec785e4cd7c92761f43bd2506bd78e7.jpg

1810705022_NuRelicsElectWindowKit.thumb.jpg.067388683ecf0e9cac00823afcfad17d.jpg

Modified cowl panel. Tacked 1/8 rod around perimeter on the bottom, cut away the slots, tacked 1/4-20 studs on the bottom side, welded shut washer nozzle mount holes, drilled new washer nozzle holes on top,  sanded, skim coat of bondo, sanded smooth, primed, wet sanded, primed again. It'll get aluminum or SS mesh and the studs trimmed if too long. I have 3 more of these if it doesn't workout.

IMG_1558.thumb.jpg.519900fddc9f39989420da2973f4d998.jpg

IMG_1559.thumb.jpg.292490d2b0bb5b9ef30a2d9488738d3a.jpg

IMG_1572.thumb.jpg.9fdb809f55a5d7be7a9c919f95181c90.jpg

IMG_1573.thumb.jpg.64cecccba09fb57ac2f6e385b1c42144.jpg

IMG_1575.thumb.jpg.68c8dbb151a54e3e245f45c38ced3dd1.jpg

Got my heads back on Tuesday along with an Offenhauser dual plane intake I had cleaned up. The heads were reworked with new valves, springs, guides and milled for roller rocker studs. Last weekend I started stripping the rest of the engine which was still in the car. Today I pulled the engine and finished stripping it. The old cam and lifters have virtually no wear but I'm replacing it with a roller cam. The engine only has a few thousand miles on it but it hasn't run in over 30 years. The 2 & 4 cylinders had gotten some water in them somehow and the rings were stuck. I soaked them with PB Blaster and let it set for the week. Today I was able to rotate the crank. I pulled the pistons, there's a significant surface rust in 2 & 4 but the pistons came right out. I was hoping not to have to bore the cylinders but after removing the pistons I saw they were knurled. I figure with the rust clean up I may have to go a minimal overbore. I'll be replacing the pistons anyhow, #6 has a broken ring groove, there was nothing wrong with the cylinder though. Several rod bearings had some scratches but the rod journals on the crank looked ok. I think next I'll drop off my crank and have it cleaned, inspected dimensionally and entertain any recommended improvements.

IMG_1577.thumb.jpg.153c02121386d10b3c22ac541304ff32.jpg

IMG_1578.thumb.jpg.582f67c953aa26ac6c99ca5af0cb0c02.jpg

Heads

IMG_1581.thumb.jpg.159bea5d88a4b4dc52c8eddfdbbbb153.jpg

IMG_1582.thumb.jpg.c6081ae8eafba470f2ee27991406c832.jpg

Picked up an Offenhauser dual plane. I had some recommended machining done, had it cleaned. Painted the heads and intake with Eastwood's ceramic engine paint. I may use this instead of the single plane intake.

IMG_1579.thumb.jpg.7d1c88f89d435c00cd06b72af82fb2ac.jpg

Tacked the RH quarter on, has a subtle 2" bumpout.

IMG_1584.thumb.jpg.0c8f2ac2b1633a5a6b7ac418d9f43e2f.jpg

IMG_1585.thumb.jpg.0b62d1ef74f40950f30d8ed0caf0022b.jpg

The outer wheelhouse is set 2" outboard. I left a flange of the original quarter to attach the new one to, also bent that flange out at the top to meet the new one better. I pie cut and bent the new quarter in to have a little bulge to it instead of it flattening out. You'll notice the fore & aft upper corners were drawn in as a result. I'll continue working it and if it don't turn out right I'll have to cut it off and start over. When its right I'll do the left.

I was about to take my block to the machine shop this week but got a swift kick in the nuts at work. Seems the company owner thinks its a good idea to sell my division right before Christmas. This week is chaos as we were told to sign on to the new company as contracted (1099) workers or be unemployed. However they've backtracked on that since most of the factory workers walked rather than sign on as contracted workers and they need the workers to fulfill existing orders, has to do with our CAGE code specified as the manufacturer on .gov contracts. Welders can pick up a job with benefits almost anywhere, why would they do 1099 contract work? Anyhow my livelihood is in limbo for the moment till they figure out the terms of the sale.

Hi Roger, sorry to hear about that.  My guess is that the new owner isn't able to comply with some government requirements, and the current owner is wanting to switch you all over to subcontractors to avoid getting caught up with some contractual barriers that will prevent the sale.  

If they lay you off, they will have to offer you COBRA.   In that case being a 1099 may not be a bad deal. This happened  recently to my wife,  so been through that, and in the end, she became an independent contractor, and it worked out quite well.  

Good Luck!

Well, the deal fell through and I'm still employed as before, for the time being anyhow. Still, I'm holding off on spending any money on the car for now or till I get a warm fuzzy feeling on the security of my job.

I did some clean up work on my block. hit a couple of areas on the outside with a flap wheel to smooth off casting flash and a couple of sharp corners. Hit the lifter valley with the dremel, chamfered the oil drain holes and cleaned up the hole letting oil onto the distributor gear. I need to go talk to the machinist about prepping the block for the build next.

IMG_1626.thumb.jpg.ccef6f5b191e87e30d9b821f7b6b7221.jpg