I have a 69 standard convertible, automatic with stock 351 Windsor. The exhaust is stock and would like to add a little horsepower and improve the sound of the exhaust...give it a nice rumble but still be able to hear the radio. Any recommendations on headers and exhaust? 

I have a 1970 convertible with a 351W (393 stroker).   I have an C-6 automatic.  I chose Heddman Shorty Headers, which are powdercoated.   This was to avoid interference under the car.  It was a tight squeeze.  I used adjustable motor mounts, which helped clear the steering box on the drivers side.  I have custom exhaust that was fabricated by Latoracing (on the fourm).  Mike can pipe in with details if you need them.    The challenge with convertibles is to get the crossover pipe in, and then get the exhaust pipes routed in the space above the convertible re-inforcing plate under the car.   We also decided to run the exhaust out through the rear valence, where Mike did his wizardry with sheet metal and exhaust routing.  Came out cool.   I used Magnaflow mufflers.  I actually have not heard the car run with the Magnaflows, but it will be louder than most people like.   I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions on the mufflers, there are so many choices available.  The headers are really high quality and fit without any denting/hammering.   I also used stage 8 locking bolts.  The bolt locations are a bitch to get to, so be patient.   

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

I second or third the heddman's.  I've been running them 7 years.  Mine are ceramic coated.  They have been pretty good to work with even with an after market rack and pinion.  I have run the quiter versions of flow masters (50 series) and now run dynomax VTs.  The flow masters had a good mellow tone without a lot of drown.  The dynomaxes are more fun because they are quiter when cruising but when u stand on the throttle a valve opens under pressure and they make a lot more noise.  Not as much as magna flow but it is fun in a tunnel or by stone walls. 

I have a 69 convertible, 351w, 4 speed and power steering.  I use the ceramic Patriot long tubes headers. #H8401-1.  Fairly easy to install, even for a 4speed and steering setup.  Made a world of difference that I could feel.  If you order from advanced auto and use the 20 or 25% promo code, it will take off about $90 bucks for a total of about $320 for a pair of ceramic long tubes. 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:41 AM, latoracing said:

Just build your own. Put the tubes where you want them...

I couldn't agree more Mike. Tuck the collector up high and tight and enjoy driving again. If I  can do it, anyone can. 

20200130_232007.png.b6f0cb14d2cc2117c59bc8d69dc93481.png20200130_231907.png.2637f18a429af4aa8057d572b70a6b6c.png20200130_231938.png.6e6fecdf36f8a2f38f9ea54fbaf8eab0.png

Thanks Terry, if latoracing hadn't talked me into getting another tig I probably wouldn't still have one. They are zinc coated, which is a story all its own. Short story, there are two ways to zinc coat parts, and I got the one that doesn't withstand much heat. 

32 minutes ago, RPM said:

Thanks Terry, if latoracing hadn't talked me into getting another tig I probably wouldn't still have one. They are zinc coated, which is a story all its own. Short story, there are two ways to zinc coat parts, and I got the one that doesn't withstand much heat. 

Partial hijack:  What's the reason for the #7 tube on all the 351W shorty headers going up and over #8?  To equalize length?  Neither the shorties on my 5.0 or the long tubes on my other 351W do that. Getting ready to buy headers for my build, and honestly, I hate the way that looks. Not the best reason to make a decision, but there it is.

They don't just loop the #7 tube on shorty headers, my long tubes were made that way as well. I believe it's to make room for the Z bar. That #7 tube is the reason I cut mine up as it was too close to the brake booster for my liking. 

Mach 1 Driver...to answer your question.  The Hedman 88650, 88656, and 88658 are the Shortie Headers for the 351W for 65-73 Mustangs.  The 88650 are painted, the 88656 are silver powder coat, and the 88658 (the ones I have) are the "Elite" series, with 14 gauge tubing, thicker flanges,  and HTC Ceramic Coating.  

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:55 PM, maleah said:

I have a 69 convertible, 351w, 4 speed and power steering.  I use the ceramic Patriot long tubes headers. #H8401-1.  Fairly easy to install, even for a 4speed and steering setup.  Made a world of difference that I could feel.  If you order from advanced auto and use the 20 or 25% promo code, it will take off about $90 bucks for a total of about $320 for a pair of ceramic long tubes. 

What is the 20% promo code if I might ask?

Just go on Advanced web site and look at the top of the page.  Today its 25% off.  Or you can google Advanced auto promo codes.  Once you checkout there is a box that asks for the "promo" code and it adjusts the price accordingly.  I use it all the time for different items. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 5:35 PM, Vicfreg said:

I have a 1970 convertible with a 351W (393 stroker).   I have an C-6 automatic.  I chose Heddman Shorty Headers, which are powdercoated.   This was to avoid interference under the car.  It was a tight squeeze.  I used adjustable motor mounts, which helped clear the steering box on the drivers side.  I have custom exhaust that was fabricated by Latoracing (on the fourm).  Mike can pipe in with details if you need them.    The challenge with convertibles is to get the crossover pipe in, and then get the exhaust pipes routed in the space above the convertible re-inforcing plate under the car.   We also decided to run the exhaust out through the rear valence, where Mike did his wizardry with sheet metal and exhaust routing.  Came out cool.   I used Magnaflow mufflers.  I actually have not heard the car run with the Magnaflows, but it will be louder than most people like.   I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions on the mufflers, there are so many choices available.  The headers are really high quality and fit without any denting/hammering.   I also used stage 8 locking bolts.  The bolt locations are a bitch to get to, so be patient.   

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

Just curious why you opted for a shorty header as opposed to a full length header? Was it simply to avoid the clearance issues? Do they provide the same level of performance as a long header? How does it sound with the Magnaflow mufflers? Thanks

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:55 PM, maleah said:

Mine is a 69 351W as well but has automatic transmission. Any idea if I'd have any clearance issues because of the automatic? Just out of curiosity, what did you use for mufflers?

Topher,  I would believe it would be easy for you with an automatic  as most of the nightmares with headers and 69 mustangs comes with 4 speeds and power steering set ups. I had zero clearance issues with the Patriot headers and the Pypes exhaust setup.  I have the Pypes exhaust system for the 69 with the X pipe and the violator mufflers.  Had Flowmasters with a ton of drone.  Violators are awesome with no drone. The X pipe is a tight fit but doable.  If in doubt google 1969 mustang, automatic with headers and see what comes up.