Jack G

1969 mach 1 rear window install

Hello, My wife and I are new to the forum, Although I've worked on cars since I was a kid, I'm now in my 50's and completely restoring a 1969 Mach 1.  My wife really wants to be included but admits to being impatient and overwhelmed with this mass project.  I'm now giving her the task of locating parts and browsing forums for assistance of which she's GREAT with asking questions and finding things for me. 

Hi, this is "the wife, Debbie"

Currently we are replacing the rear window and seems that we're missing an important piece --- the weather-stripping.   The window  is currently glued  with NO weather-stripping to seal the huge gap. This is how it came when we bought the hunk of a car.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to:  1. How to get that glass out without breaking?   2.  How to install weather-stripping and window?

My husband is GREAT with "figuring things out along the way", while I need to have instructions and understand where things go... and plan ahead... I know, I know..... it's tough for me to "wing it" and in the car hobby, it's hurry up and wait,  figure it out, wait for the parts, figure it out, order more parts......etc.  etc.   Not sure this is my thing...YET. BUT I enjoy being a team with my husband.

Thanks for help..... much appreciated!!

I have a new found respect for ALL of you Car Gurus out there....this is tough stuff.

There is quite a bit of discussion in the forum on this and related subjects. Here is a link to one of the articles that happens to be in the how to section of the forum. Do not hesitate to search the forum and read as many of the install discussions as possible as they all contain issues and resolutions you may encounter, have the correct trim clips handy & installed, recommendations for sealer, where & when to apply sealer, preventing/fixing leaks, etc... Good luck! :

Welcome to the forum Debbie and Jack! When looking for needed parts, I've found that good 'ol Henry Ford are the best. Sometimes you can find a new unused part, but a good used part is also a good find. For aftermarket parts, I've had very good luck with NPD parts and service. Many folks on different Mustang forums still have issues buying from CJ Pony Parts. Others and I have found parts here on the forum by just asking. 

Having a helper is a lifesaver working on these cars, go easy on the wife Jack :)  Where abouts do you guys call home? And pics. We (I) need (would enjoy) you to post pics of your car, and a bit of its history in order for you to receive your club membership card, and secret handshake instructions :)

Again, welcome and hope y'all have as much fun with your 69 as I've had. 

Bob

Welcome to the forum.

I honestly cannot imagine how somebody glued the rear window in place on a 69 Mach 1.  Without seeing it, my initial guess would be start cutting through the glue with a razer blade.  Be prepared, the glass might fall through to the inside of the car.

When reinstalling with a new weather strip, I think Ridge Runner here has a good method to get it to seal.  Hopefully he'll chime in with some information.  Simply installing the glass with a new weather strip alone is not enough for it to seal.

I too have had good luck with National Parts Depot (NPD) for reproduction parts.  When I want good used original or NOS stuff, one source is Perogie Enterprises.

Something to take into consideration is the fabric for the interior sail panels goes underneath the rear window weatherstrip (its actually supposed to be glued to the window frame), and they are supposed to be installed before the rear window for this reason.  That is about the only way you can get them tight, and there are a lot of '69's on the road today with drooping interior sail panels because this was done wrong.