Today I ordered the tank armor to cover the trunk gas tank in my 69 mach1. I saw the Bryant Gumbal report on mustangs exploding when rear ended years ago. While I am not paranoid about that happening. I thinks its a good step in some protection. They have them for every early model for the mustang and cougar. Here is their website if you are interested,  http://tankarmor.com/

I installed the Tank Armor in 2015 and really like it.  I like that I can place tools, parts, Beach chairs, etc. in my trunk and not worry so much about the fuel tank being damaged.  I have a tendency to throw things in without thinking.Unfortunately, I neglected to paint the tank armor before installing it. This would not have been an issue, but I developed a very small pin hole in the trunk (not visible due to mat placed in the trunk area) which widened over time and allowed water to get into the trunk area.  The tank armor is a little bit rusted now.  I am getting the trunk holds  repaired this spring and having the tank armor  cleaned up and painted. The damage to the tank armor is completely my error and not due to the manufacturer of Tank Armor.

The "exploding" gas tanks were an issue with gas tank venting. Not sure the tank armor is going to help that.  There are numerous articles about how to properly vent the fuel tank on vintage mustangs.

Installing a plate between the rear seat and trunk compartment would be much more effective.  The Pinto gas tank crisis proved that.

The "fires" were only really seen on a very limited number of rare cars....the Shelby GT 500.  The Shelby's in 1969 and 1970 had a center exhaust outlet in the rear valence, which was directly below the fuel tank filler cap.   

From an early Ford article:

Under certain running conditions, when the carburetor was set just right and there was a rapid backing off of the throttle, the engine could backfire. It was known as “pop back” and it was unique to the GT500’s 428 powerplants. On a couple of occasions, this pop back ignited the fuel vapor cloud and actually set the tail end of the car on fire! It was incredibly ironic that one advertising tag line for the 1969 Shelby was “fire, and refinement” but that was not the kind of fire either Ford or Shelby Automotive had in mind. The fix was to install nonvented fuel caps and replumb the fuel tanks so that they were vented via a hose that exited at the bottom of the rear quarter panel, away from the exhaust exit.