rwcstang

MDL Clutch fried, need recommendation on replacement clutch

Hi All, 

Bought a TKO600 Conversion kit from MDL back in May '18. Everything was great except until a few days ago, The Clutch (Kevlar/Steel Organic) is burning up after a 1yr use and the clutch doesn't grab in 4th or 5th anymore when the car is warmed up. I did adjust the clutch (External Slave Cylinder/fork), but no change, most likely the clutch is going to need replacement. Did anyone ever experience these types of issues with MDL's kevlar/steel organic Clutch? the clutch I have was advertised to handle 450hp+ and since it was kevlar/Steel Organic I expected this clutch to last longer than usual as the material can take a beating. 

to note, Recently I did a dyno/tune and now putting out more power than I originally thought (330rwhp/400tq) this is probably what caused the clutch to burn. I'm am now putting down 365rwhp 400rwtq. 

Does anyone have any clutch recommendations? I've been told McCleod Super Street Pro or RST are great, but would like your feedback. The car is meant for street/spirited driving and maybe some autocross. 

The engine is a 393w Stroker (Carb'd), TKO600 with ford 9 w/ 3:50's 

Best, 

I have a spec stage 3+ clutch, aluminium flywheel and hydraulic actuation in my car.  From a stop, I have to slip the clutch gradually so it doesn't grab. It works great and seems indestructible.  I would have picked the 2+ at the time but it wasn't available.   I  think a spec stage 2 or 2+ would be fine. 

unless you are drag racing it all the time, both the mcleod and centerforce dual friction discs are xlnt. the off brand kevlar clutches from china are total crap.

you also need a pressure plate with at least 2400 lbs of clamping force if you beat on it much, and if you drag race you need around 2800 - 3200 lbs of clamping force but you will also need a left leg the size of a redwood tree to push it in.

Thanks everyone,

@barnett468

- I dont drag race it, I do some spirited driving but nothing too extreme. the idea with this car, is to keep it street but ready for track and autocross (haven't done this yet)

But I gave Mcleod a call the other day and they recommended to go with a super street pro clutch.

the other option was their RST/RXT, but the price is a little steep, so I went with their Super Street pro Clutch kit.  

Update:

Swapped out my clutch, the transmission shop said my original clutch was fine, but my pressure plate failed which caused it to slip.

@barnett468 your right, the pressure plate and possibly the clutch are made over seas, made in Korea (not china) not that Im saying its bad but definitely called it.

@JET 445

feels great! soft pedal, but still breaking in the clutch. 

I've also noticed the external clutch slave is leaking aswell, after trying to find feedback about MDL external slave, I did some digging and it looks like the slaves they provide is a $12.00 part https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bck-072-9514 

I am currently looking to upgrade, any recommendations would be great if anyone has any ideas.

Just to update this thread,

Pressure plate on the MDL Clutch Failed, clutch looked fine

after digging, the pressure plate is made by Seco (korean Company)http://www.secoautomotive.com/eng/products/clutch-cover.php. Im sure their clutch is made by them aswell, though MDL's site clutch is made in-house & inspected. there is a possibility this was outsourced to this company in korea to keep cost down.

also, my external slave was leaking, looked like black grease and pieces of the seal was deteriorating. also, had the transmission shop reach out to them asking if there was an upgrade to the external slave cylinder, says this is the best one.

is there any other slave cylinders that have a 2 1/8 mounting hole? all other ext. slave cylinder looks to have the 2 3/8 mounting hole. Any suggestions would be great, as Im currently out of $100 bucks from MDL on getting a replacement. 

not to bash on MDL, but they could be a little more affordable and provide better warranty on their products.