Kris

Steering column tube mod for borgeson

Ok question for you guys that have installed the borgeson power steering box. I’m installing this on my car (1969 convertible) and I am currently rebuilding my steering column. How much of the lower tube needs to be cut off? After doing research online I found plenty of articles that show how to do it all but never mention the length cut off the tube. 

You can move the 69 column an inch or more forward or backwards. You have to loosen the screw at the firewall (on the bracket that has the rubber gasket under, the screw tightens the clamp on the lower end of the column). You also have to loosen the bracket that attaches the column at the dash ( two nuts on right side of the column, that squeezes the black bracket that clamps the column, not the bolts that go through aluminum blocks). Then you can pull or push the column. The black bracket has a tab that fits in a slot on the column, that slot is an inch or more long and let's the column slide in an out some.

I used the Mustang Steve lower bearing set up on my 1970.  I cut maybe 3/4" off of the steering column tubes. Also, on the 1970, there is the annoying shift-lock lever that I also cut off.  I had to cut the tubes on the '70, because I ran out of adjustment room with my Borgeson steering box and the column bracket bolts.  Be patient, this was a real trial and error process.  I had my steering column in and out of the car at least 6 or 7 times.  

Picture attached of my 1970 install, note the rag joint is not installed correctly.. my bad.  This is what happens when you do this stuff at 1 am....  

For my 1968, which is more similar to the '69 install, I did not have to cut the column tubes, but I did put in a Delrin bushing at the end of the steering column.  I did not like the alignment I had with the original setup, I thought this would be more stable.   I looked on eBay for a bushing that was close in size, and drilled out the ID for the column shaft (1"), and for the OD to fit snugly (hammer fit)  in the steering column inner tube.  I used the 3 holes at 120 degrees apart to "stake" the busing in, by taking a large nail and punching the metal hole to a larger diameter which captured the Delrin bushing in place.  I put a small amount of die-electric grease on the ID of the bushing, but it turns very freely by hand.

PIcs below

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg