1969_Mach1

C6 Torque Converter For 390

Question:  Comp Cams suggests a 2000 RPM stall speed torque converter for the cam I am using.  I see in my 1969 Ford service manuals that Ford offered several different torque converters for the C6 and 390 and 428 motors.  Stall speeds ranged from about 1680 RPM for the 390 to 2100 RPM for the 428.

Before I go aftermarket, can I get a rebuilt original torque converter from a trans shop, for example for a C6 with a 428 and expect it to have the stall speed listed in my Ford service manuals?  Or are these rebuilt OEM converters widely universal fits-all and who knows what stall speed it will have?

I know this is a Mustang forum, but, this is in a 1956 F100 pickup.  The C6 was rebuilt and has a rebuilt torque converter.  It has never been run and I have no idea what torque converter was installed.  All I know is it's a light blue in color like the Pro-King brand rebuilt torque converters.  I basically am looking for a torque converter that will not need to have the idle speed high just to keep the motor running when in gear.  And I don't want it to lunge hard and creep hard when dropping it into gear.  I've been in that situation before when I was much younger, it doesn't take long to get annoying.

For rear end gear, I am going back and forth between a 3.54:1 or a 3.73:1.  Those are both offered for the Dana rear axle it has.  The tires are 255-60R15.  That is the largest that will fit without and sheet metal modifications to the bed.

You may be able to get a rebuilt torque converter from a trans shop, but I would go to Summit Racing or Jegs and buy one of their basic aftermarket replacements.

With those gears, you will not have any issues with creeping, it should get up and go.  Also, with those gears, you will be above the stall speed while cruising in 3rd gear with your C-6, which is good.  The only downside with the 3.73 and a 3 speed, is that you will be winding the engine pretty hard while going down the road.  So, a lower gear ratio is better for that and your gas mileage....

Ratio          3.73          3.54

RPM                          MPH

2000                   43                46

2500                   54                57

3000                   65                68

3500                   75                78

Well, the good news is I don't plan on cruising down the freeway in this truck.  Mainly just driving around town in good weather.  You have to spend a lot more money than I have on the chassis to make these comfortable to cruise down the freeway.  After looking at your numbers, the 3.54 rear axle gears are more appealing.  Summit has a two that I have looked at.  One from TCI and one from Hughes.  The TCI has a stall rating of 1700 RPM and the Hughes has a stall rating of 2000 RPM.  I think either would work fine.  Normal drivability might be better with the TCI converter.