aslanefe

Holley Sniper on a 302

I put one on a tired old 302. I've not run it enough yet to fully complete learning but I have not done anything to any tables. Idles nicely, hot or cold. Starts pretty well first time, with both the original points distributor and the MSD billet/6AL combo I put on.

So far, I am impressed with it and have no issues. I guess the challenge will be once I drive it in traffic and see how it goes. Which is what I wanted as I can't be bothered tuning either a carb or playing with EFI.

If you just used the wizard to set it up and only started it with no drive time with it, you are going to find out it is not just plug 4 wires and forget about it when you start driving it. It needs to be tuned (not learn) especially for starting and driving it in cold weather.

23 hours ago, smh00n said:

I put one on a tired old 302. I've not run it enough yet to fully complete learning but I have not done anything to any tables. Idles nicely, hot or cold. Starts pretty well first time, with both the original points distributor and the MSD billet/6AL combo I put on.

So far, I am impressed with it and have no issues. I guess the challenge will be once I drive it in traffic and see how it goes. Which is what I wanted as I can't be bothered tuning either a carb or playing with EFI.

With your setup do you have it controlling the timing? I'm looking to install a Sniper on my 351C w/MSD distributor/6AL combo but want it to control the timing eventually.   Any tips/advice about the install.

Grabber, yes I have it controlling timing. I did this after I installed it with the Ford distributor as even Holley recommended to get it running first then do timing control, just so you don't have 2 issues to chase if you have a problem (which I didn't and was a bit surprised after reading all the drama on the Sniper EFI forum).

The MSD distributor can be locked out pretty easily and in my box the parts were included. I have pictures at home with the mods. Basically the obvious - remove the vacuum advance and lock the base plate.

The info on using timing control I found confusing. One manual for either Sniper or the Distributor (I can't recall which) stated you needed to use an adjustable rotor, the other one said you didn't. When I started installing it, I'm pretty sure the Sniper manual said you didn't need to install the adjustable rotor. 60 bucks down the drain. The problem was I think both Sniper user guides had different stories about how to set it it and only 1 is correct.

The Sniper kit has the cable to run from the distributor output to the 6AL. I recall you have to set the distributor at a point (15 degree's??) but that is all in the Sniper manual.

You then change the handheld to set it as timing control and away you go. On the handheld you can see the timing in one of the gauges as well.

Was a pretty simple process in the end.

I have pics somewhere, now it is all finished I'll add to my build post with it all.

1 hour ago, smh00n said:

Well down here our coldest day would be about zero (40F?) celcius so cold weather won't be an issue. Hot is. 

Mine was working alright until last week, then the temps dropped to around 50F in the mornings and now I have to tune it (change the factory generic configuration file) so it works good in the morning without stalling and shaking till the engine warms up. 

Timing control seems real easy, I am planning to use a locked and re-indexed Duraspark 2 distributor eventually. Need the Holley coil driver to be able to use the Duraspark and original coil.