Hux

What sort of filler would you use?

Hi team

Unfortunately a rear quarter extension in Aus is not as common as the USA nor affordable so had to get an aftermarket (the prices on Ebay for a genuine with shipping from the USA was crazy).

As you can see there is a significant difference in profile to the rear quarter (which is original sheet metal and undamaged).  The actual difference is @ 10mm which in your would is about 7/16ths of an inch at its worst.  

So what filler would you think would be a good foundation for such a large build up...fibreglass, carbon or get some of that Muggy Weld type product and build up the actual area with some metal before final filling and shaping with normal Bondo type filler.

Thanks in advance 

796315FD-4DFE-452F-A826-455C70990358.jpeg

On 1/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, mustangstofear said:

Depends on what the  extension is made of, they were fiberglass or pot metal. If it's  fiberglass,  then build it up with that. If you have  someone that can weld, have them build up the  edge. 

Pot metal.  So lead or something like Muggy Weld or the like is the only metal solutions

On 1/7/2020 at 4:38 AM, Mach1Rider said:

Just clarifying how does the trunk side fit? From the pic it looks like it is dropping down to the right.

maybe relocating the mounting holes may help, need more info.

That is the only area that doesn’t fit well.  It aligns well on the upper fender and quarter other than that one area.

The inner area looks much the same as the OEM on the RH side.  Unfortunately changing it is impossible - none in stock in Aus- we are not as lucky as you folks in the USA as to having large suppliers with lots of stock.  Reality is this is a standard Taiwanese repop so imagine its just a flawed moulding design and anyone else using a repop would have the same issue. 

As the quarter in original I at least have an original line to run from.  

I’ll try a short strand fibreglass filler I guess.

Fibreglass does not adhere well to pot metal or any metal for that matter. You can make a cut along the top outer edge and use a block to clamp it where it lines up with the fender lower down and carefully heat it with a map gas torch, bend it out to where it lines up and fill in the cut with muggyweld. Just be very careful when heating pot metal if you decide this is an option.

I would think fiberglass would work.  Test it first.  On the inside, sand off all finish, and apply your fiberglass in a test strip.   Let it cure and see how well it holds. Maybe drill tiny holes in the metal, something for the fiberglass to grab on to.   Maybe put tiny screws in the holes, more for the fiberglass to bond to.  

4 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

All you have to do is apply a couple coats of  Epoxy primer,  then scuff it down the next day with 180 and one coat of Fiber Tech by Overcoat.  Then you could finish off with some Rage. 

I like this version.  The cutting and bending of pot metal sounds fraught with hazard :-)

I’ll have a look for Fiber Tech and All Metal.  

I had to do mine as well . Not as bad though. I just keyed up the pot metal and used fibre fill to get the rough shape. Then used rage gold filler or dolphin glaze before epoxy priming . Still looks good after few years in our Aussie climate. 

12 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I had to do mine as well . Not as bad though. I just keyed up the pot metal and used fibre fill to get the rough shape. Then used rage gold filler or dolphin glaze before epoxy priming . Still looks good after few years in our Aussie climate. 

Thanks Shep - I had a 69 fibreglass version on the LH side that someone had done some very skilful shaping with filler on to replicate a 70 style however it was splitting off the base and is of course damaged at the very bottom like so many others.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:47 AM, Hux said:

Thanks Shep - I had a 69 fibreglass version on the LH side that someone had done some very skilful shaping with filler on to replicate a 70 style however it was splitting off the base and is of course damaged at the very bottom like so many others.

I ended up doing some filling on all four corners . The light buckets were out a few mm as well .  But that was normal back in the day . 

I had to buy a second hand rear extension also as one of the tabs were the thread goes in had snapped. Shipping is what’s a killer  plus tax. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:21 AM, Vicfreg said:

Hey Shep, how are you making out with all of the fires down under?   Hopefully none close to family and friends?

I’m ok as I live on the West Coast. 

Most of the fires are on the East Coast. It’s bad real bad. Millions of animals are dead . Some species will become extinct that say. Over 2000 homes destroyed and lots of people have perished.