69Stanger408

Body shop cost switcheroo

Looking for guidance. I received a written estimate from a restoration shop to paint my car. The price was in the middle range of other shops I went to. I paid the amount throughout the process and when delivery of the car came the shop says I owe double the amount. Says its labor based and that is what it is. The estimated hours went from 250 hours to a final of 535 hours. I did add a few extras that were not in the original estimate but those hours would equate to approx 50 hours (snug fit fiberglass bumpers, move seat risers back, weld in new hoop). At no time did they tell me I was exceeding the estimate and when this came about they said I should of asked them where I was at prior to now. Quick rundown, I did 90% of the bodywork prior (panel replacements, blending, etc.) yet they said to warranty the work they'd have to media blast the car which they did and was included in the estimate. Nothing more was required other than re-doing the blasted skim work (which was included). What say you?

What has been their online reputation? Have you looked at their BBB listing?

There's no way they shouldn't have contact you to let you know that the written estimate they provided was being so grossly exceeded and give you an explanation as to why. As a professional shop they should be able to estimate their work far closer to the actual hours than what they did. It seems like a bait and switch job to me. 

10 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

They should have informed you of the price difference ,but an estimate is only an estimate . A shop can run into a lot more work than they bargained for on these old cars ,you would be surprised at what you can find hidden when rebuilding these things 

That's for sure.

After 45+ years of repairing motorcycles. I am the only one left that even knows what a 72-73 motorcycle is. I don't restore bikes!

They do find  me.  It just needs a tune up=no such thing! All it needs is ___________= don't think so!   If you say it was my fathers bike and has been sitting for 20 +

years and told me how great it was.   Leave it in the truck and find someone else. The time I have spent and never got paid for I could retire..

Older things can be hard for there is no flat rate on it....  

When I run across something I did not expect or budget for while doing work for pay "Which I hardly ever do anymore" I ALWAYS call the customer and inform them of what I have found and ask them to come take a look at it and then give a price to fix it or just patch it up LOL..