Machspeed

69 Fastback Rocker Panel Moldings

I'm struggling to figure out how the rocker panel moldings are attached to the rockers on my Mach. The moldings are original to the car but the car incurred some front end damage years ago and went through a repaint and assembly, none of which I did. When I removed them recently, I noted two screws in each molding, see picture. I've labeled the orientation of the pieces on the car, hole closest to the edge was at the front both sides. Looking at the Jim Osborn assembly manual, I see no screws passing through the molding itself. I'm wondering if someone ran screws through the moldings in order to secure them? Can someone advise?

If someone incorrectly ran screws through my moldings, they are damaged. I believe they could be repaired and recoated but not sure how costly. Also, I'm not finding the hardware to reconnect them. Thoughts?

The other option is I purchase re-pops. The re-pops come with all the attachment hardware, can anyone comment on the re-pops?

Thanks, 

John 

Untitled-4.jpg

One screw is correct, at the rear. Front is held on with molding clip. 
will post front clip shortly. 
plastic pieces spaced out in between from front to rear that molding snaps onto. So one has to believe the molding usually got knocked off plastic pieces and screw was added to hold in place 

Caseyrhe is correct. The one screw goes to the rear. The amount of trim that gets placed on the wrong way is amazing. Including mine. 

John its time to buy some good used units or find some nice repco ones.

I purchased some repco trim  many many years ago . Like so many after market bits there not great but work. They may have improved now days.

Based on my research, only one manufacturer makes those moldings, (Corvex as far as I remember). Had to use them within the last year. You have to massage the front ends of both sides so they match to the contour of the fender by the lip. The hole for the left side is about a quarter inch off, had to close that hole and punch a new one. They drilled the extra holes on yours because when fenders are not aligned perfectly with the rocker, the molding pops out of the plastic clips just after the fender and people just put a screw in there to fasten it. Had the extra  holes on my 69 Grande; when I did the body work and assembly I aligned the fenders right and now the moldings stay in place without the need for the extra screws.

On your picture, marked as front is the rear. If yours are in decent shape and shine, you can try to push the extra holes closed from the back and use them. The shine on repops won't last long and they are made from softer material.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, Machspeed said:

I'm struggling to figure out how the rocker panel moldings are attached to the rockers on my Mach. The moldings are original to the car but the car incurred some front end damage years ago and went through a repaint and assembly, none of which I did. When I removed them recently, I noted two screws in each molding, see picture. I've labeled the orientation of the pieces on the car, hole closest to the edge was at the front both sides. Looking at the Jim Osborn assembly manual, I see no screws passing through the molding itself. I'm wondering if someone ran screws through the moldings in order to secure them? Can someone advise?

If someone incorrectly ran screws through my moldings, they are damaged. I believe they could be repaired and recoated but not sure how costly. Also, I'm not finding the hardware to reconnect them. Thoughts?

The other option is I purchase re-pops. The re-pops come with all the attachment hardware, can anyone comment on the re-pops?

Thanks, 

John 

Untitled-4.jpg

Marco at King Of Trim can fix these. they have the correct chemistry.  They fixed my 1970 trim to perfect condition.  All dents and scratches were removed.  www.kingoftrim.com

Thanks gentlemen, appreciate your help and comments. It does not appear that I can purchase the clips for this molding. Thanks to RPM, I have all the middle clips, just not the front. But, according to my Osborn Assembly Manual, there is a different clip used for the rear??? From this, it almost appears that no screw would pass through the back of the molding, which is screwy to me, as everyone states the molding is pre drilled to be screwed in at the back.....see photo. Note, E is front, F is rear.  Is there a different type clip back there or what? Thanks!!!

P1030393.JPG

4 hours ago, rockhouse66 said:

I understand Marco is no longer at K of T and their quality has suffered lately.  Just passing along info I read elsewhere.

Thank you for the insight. 

4 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Repop moulding set does not include the clip F, but as far as I remember has the middle clips, rivets to attach them and clips that looks like E.

Yes, think you are correct. I said screw it and just ordered a set off CJ. I'll compare them to my OEM units and see how they differ. At least I'll have the hardware.