Print Dad

3 Questions vey important to me

Hello ALL,

Happy New year to all.

So I am sorry haven't been on in quite some time.

I have 3 questions that may be simple yet complicated

This is for our 70 Mach and I have done a LOT of these thigs but forget some simple thigs

Here goes -

1. -  Can I remove the radio without removing the dash pad - -and how do I get usb or something to bring the

radio up to date. The problem is I want to play our 8 tracks and my wife wants her Ipod.

I would be glad to buy a radio that has these capabilities- -any ideas or thoughts

2. - How are the TMI door panels - or is there a better brand - suggestions on where to buy

3. - Tail lIght bezels - same thing - who makes and sells good quality - I see some cheap at CJ's - but I don't want

fitment issues - -the car was painted and the bezels look a bit crappy.

It is has been some time since I replaced the dash pad but have done it about 15 times over the years

Well thats it for now - Thanks to all who read and offer suggestions

Be well -- HAPPY NEW YEAR - -Sam

34 minutes ago, Print Dad said:

1. -  Can I remove the radio without removing the dash pad - -and how do I get usb or something to bring the

radio up to date. The problem is I want to play our 8 tracks and my wife wants her Ipod.

I would be glad to buy a radio that has these capabilities- -any ideas or thoughts

Hi, good to see you back. I can answer #1- yes you can remove the radio without removing the dash pad. I had my AM/8 track converted to AM/FM/8 track/USB- it will even answer the phone, but I wouldn't recommend Barry's 8 Track Repair, as it took about a year and 3 months to get it back. Everything works fine, it just took way too long. If you pay him more he will move you to the front of the line- I didn't. Find one of the many vendors that will do an Aurora Design upgrade. One of the options is to have a multi-color LED added to let you know what mode you are in. If you didn't have that it could become confusing since there are no new buttons added- everything looks exactly as it did in 69. It takes a series of knob twists and pushes to make it do all the new things, but it isn't difficult to operate. It sometimes talks to you and gives a limited amount of information about the mode it is in. I like the convenience of the USB. The upgrade is well worth it if you want the original look. I don't remember what it cost but it was expensive.

remove ALL the screws from the radio bezel

yank outward on the bezel hard to remove it

remove the screw on the bottom of each side molding and remove the molding

remove the screws from the radio bracket

pull the radio straight out far enough to unplug it

remove radio after it is unplugged.

virginia mustang had the best and most accurate door panels by far, but the top flange that the window felt stapled to sometimes needed to be bent at a little more of an angle which can be done. their panels had a white plastic backing. i don't know if they still sell the same ones.

RD

3 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

I got my door panels from mustang market, back of panels where white, good fitment on reinstalling chrome trim, wood panel insert, and cup handles. 

dido I’m removing radio

Does the vinyl side of the mustang market panels look/feel like originals or plastic?

I bought the cheaper tail light bezels from CJ a few years ago for my 70 and was happy with the fit. Don't know if CJ still sells the ones I bought or use a different supplier now. The ones I bought fit to both sides, not right and left specific like originals. I think the location of little alignment nub makes it a right or left on the originals and the ones I bought did not have that tab so you can put them on either side.

6 hours ago, aslanefe said:

This is the deluxe door panels, right?

I have the Mustang Market deluxe panels for a 70.  Yes light grain vinyl, white plastic backing, quite good alignment of the holes for wood grain and stainless trim.

You do have to mount the window felts yourself 

15 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I think member danno adds input capability to original radio, try contacting him. This way your wife can listen her iPod on your original radio.

Sam, welcome back good to hear from you again.  The radio comes out as was described above. I recommend contacting member danno on the forum, he did a mp-3 conversion on a factory am/fm radio for me. It looks stock on the front & the extra wiring comes out the back. I drilled a small hole in the plastic glove box liner & put the input  wire for the conversion in the glove box so when I get around to using it I will plug the mp-3 player in & leave it in the glove box & it looks stock from the front.

Hello ALL,

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Yes - this is a deluxe interior.

I have been so dang busy and not much computer time - sorry.

It stinks getting old LOL - I have had the radio out at least a dozen times - but couldn't

remember if I had to lift the dash pad.

I have changed the sports lamp switch, front speaker heck I even did the heater core over the year

Seems like my memory isn't the same  -maybe if I just get out there and start working.

I plan to contact Danno thanks all.  I am getting ready to workon the car again -but the 

wife needs another knee replacement in 2 weeks  dang

WEll I will keep you all up to date - THanks once again

If I can help please give a shout

sam