Machspeed

Mustang Undercarriage

I'm welding up and fixing some things on the undercarriage before I paint it. The car was originally a 351 single exhaust Mach 1 for which I had dual exhaust put on years ago. They cut holes and crap for their hangers and such. You can see one right through the brake support bracket for which I've filled. Anyway, in the picture are four holes circled. Can anyone confirm that these belong here? Though I'm not sure what they are for, at least three look like they may belong here, not sure about the other. Can anyone confirm?  

Lastly, as this was a single exhaust car and I want to make it dual exhaust with factory like attachment points, are there any brackets that I need to order and weld under the car? I've done some research and I'm thinking not but don't want to overlook anything.

Thanks!!! 

Undercarriage 1.jpg

On my original single exhaust, 9" diff 69 Grande, outboard hole is for the clip that secures the diff vent rubber hose. End of the vent hose goes inside the frame/support the hole is on at the aft side of it; if your picture was taken from behind the car, you would have captured he hole which vent hose goes in. I think they put the end of the vent inside a closed area to eliminate dirt etc entering the hose/diff. The other 3 holes close to each other does not exist on mine. Don't know if they make a bracket for left side, but I made a mirror image of the exhaust bracket on the right side using about 1/8" thick sheet and attached it to left side at the same location (on left side). I think I had to fish in (through the shock nut opening in the trunk) a piece of flat sheet with nuts welded on them so I can bolt the home made bracket to.

3 holes (one smaller than the other 2) on the fwd side of the circled holes; I attached my home made bracket to 2 bigger holes. The nuts welded sheet is long and the smaller hole was used to secure the sheet in place so it won't fall off if I remove the exhaust bracket. It was a little time consuming to do it this way but looks symmetric and no extra holes drilled.

1 hour ago, Machspeed said:

Thanks Mike, welded in those floor supports about a year ago. Appreciate the input. 

Thanks, aslanefe

You are welcome. Those should be the only thing except for the actual muffler hangers that you will need to install a dual exhaust.

Thank you, Buckeye! I actually went to your build thread to see if I could find a picture of that area but unfortunately your pictures are hosed. What an incredibly sad thing too, as that build is the best I've seen on the web. It was also an incredible motivator for me.  Are you hosting your pictures anywhere, such that one can view them?  

See those holes above (near) the brake line bracket?

Well on one side they will be nutserts and on the other you have blank holes.

well this is where they exhaust hanger brackets attach to.

i bought the set or repo hanger brackets. They bolted on for the one side where it was for the single exhaust and on the other side I made a ‘square U bolt’ that I could slip in the factory holes and then put nuts on to hold the bracket.

i didn’t want to modify my conv.

if you don’t care about modifying your car you can weld nuts into the holes and bolt your hanger brackets there.

i didn’t like how the repo hanger brackets fit the mufflers, I thought they hung down too low and when I compaired to the original single exhaust bracket sure enough the rubber section was longer.

so I drilled out the rivets and put a piece of HD rubber belting in that I had and set them where I wanted them