newstang

seat height convertible

For some reason i hit my head getting into the convertible and the frame is right along side my skull in this car. (Im not tall)

I measured the seat height in my fastback and its at most 1" lower. The convertible makes me feel like on a seat booster. Is this normal?

Im also concerned about any impact from a side. your head is the only buffer to the frame. Anyone make a frame cushion?

Do they have the same seats?

how about the seat foam? I put new seat upolstry and foam in my conv and now I don’t like how I sit higher in the car. I’m thinking about trimming my seat frames down a little

26 minutes ago, Rsanter said:

Do they have the same seats?

how about the seat foam? I put new seat upolstry and foam in my conv and now I don’t like how I sit higher in the car. I’m thinking about trimming my seat frames down a little

im using mach1 seats, but i dont think they are higher, but i dont hav any others to compare them to.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Yes, the 1 inch height difference is normal, and probably too is the bumping the head :)

I believe the conv riser is higher due to the hump narrowing the area where the seat sits. 

thank god im only 5'10" 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I believe the conv riser is higher due to the hump narrowing the area where the seat sits. 

RPM speaks the truth. They are higher.

My only question is why get in a convertible when the top is up?

:)

11 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

RPM speaks the truth. They are higher.

My only question is why get in a convertible when the top is up?

:)

its annoying, im almost at eye level with the visors. if i were taller the car would have to go.

I have the same issue.   I forget and bump my head getting out of the car.  The bruise reminds me for a few days to watch my head and then I forget until the next time!. I think I just get used to having the top down and not having to worry about my head.  My seats are the ones that came with the car. I like the idea of the padding and will probably do that as well. 

1 hour ago, capemustang said:

I have the same issue.   I forget and bump my head getting out of the car.  The bruise reminds me for a few days to watch my head and then I forget until the next time!. I think I just get used to having the top down and not having to worry about my head.  My seats are the ones that came with the car. I like the idea of the padding and will probably do that as well. 

youll still get bumped, but it wont be as shocking :-)

At 6'2", I guess I have to figure out how to modify the seat riser to lower it and still retain the rigidity when I start restoring my 70 vert, even the coupe with original seat foam requires careful manevouring while getting in and out.

On 12/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, aslanefe said:

At 6'2", I guess I have to figure out how to modify the seat riser to lower it and still retain the rigidity when I start restoring my 70 vert, even the coupe with original seat foam requires careful manevouring while getting in and out.

if i didnt have the whole thing together, i would defiantly try to cut the center section of the platform and sink it down as much as possible.  It may bother me enough to still do that before the spring.

The floor pan and seat supports are different in the Convertibles.   Plus the area is narrower, as the inner rockers take up room on the inside of the passenger compartment.   Picture shows this.

Options are:

- Top Down (my vote)

- For the Sportsroof crowd - T-Tops

- Tactical Helmet 

- Biker Helmet

IMG_2179.JPG

s-l400.jpg

images1L2OR2Y1.jpg

images1CVCMZQZ.jpg

images8G1KBHR4.jpg