Kris

Wheel fitment

I’m looking at a set of ridler 651 wheels for my 69 convertible. They are 18 x 8  with 0 offset and 4.5” back spacing. My car has an original 8” rear axle with factory height leaf springs and drum brakes on the rear. The front has factory disc brakes and I have done the Shelby drop on the control arms with have factory height coil springs. Will these fit without rubbing or will modifications be required? I have seen the mustang depot chart that shows wheel and tire sizes and it looks like it will fit but it doesn’t show this size with the Shelby drop. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ridler-Machined-Finish-inches-Offset/dp/B01N6JR4RP/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=ridler+651+black&qid=1575425710&sr=8-6

https://www.mustangdepot.com/graphics/tirefitmentguide69-70.pdf

I'll vote that they fit. It might depend if your car is lowered, if the fender lips rolled, and what size tire you'll use. 

I have 2010 Mustang GT 18x8 with 6.27 backspace and 1 inch adapters on all 4 corners, resulting in 5.27" actual bs. In the rear I still have ~1.5" clearance to the front lower inner fender, so you should clear just fine. My front has tubular control arms which allow more backspace, but my (bad) memory says others have used 4.5" bs on the front. 

If you're iffy on the fit, just buy one wheel and check the fit without mounting a tire. 

I have 18x9's on front with 5.95 inch backspacing with 1 inch spacer, but I converted it to disc which brings the wheel out further.  So not sure how much further the rotor brings it out.  Can't remember what was mentioned on the mustang Steve sight about it.    The back I am running 18x10's with 6.37 inch back spacing with no spacer.  I did have to trim the bump stop bracket that sticks out a little.  

I am pretty sure they will fit. What size tire are you using?   I am using Foose Knuckle wheels

I am running 17" x 8" in the front with a 4.5" backspace and 245/45-17

I am running 18 x 9.5" in the back with a 5.5" backspace and 275/40-18

I also cut the axle bump stop off and did a gentle fender edge roll. I have plenty of room.

I also have tubular front control arms (Global West +3)    The control arms unequal length, and set back.   This will allow you to dial in a lot of Caster without the typical front suspension tire interference when running fat tires.  Good luck!   Send some pics of those Ridlers...

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_4229.jpg

Yeah, that was the big decision for me, I don't want the look to be all wheel, like a Gangster ride....

I think anything larger than 18" will have that look, unless you run a much taller tire in the rear.  I wanted to keep the height of the tire around 25-1/2 inches.    

Got 2 of my wheels in today. The other two will be here tomorrow. My car is still on jack stands so the picture on the rear makes the wheel look small not they are 18x8. I love the look of them. 

FE78486A-86DC-4373-99FE-764718E87E5A.jpeg

5468E039-AB4D-4D34-A2EC-EB36FC4E98AA.jpeg

6D27B441-6DEA-4BD8-9B20-2F4D63926C10.jpeg

I put a straight edge on it last night and it still looks like they will fit. There is a good 3/4” gap between the straight edge and the fender lips. At worst I’ll have to roll the lips which is no big deal but it all depends on how wide of a tire I go with. 

Those wheels have a ton of positive offset for a stock suspension.  That will push the tire inwards.  I would be more concerned about the clearance to the inner fender wells, especially in the front when you turn the front wheels.

If you look at the picture of my front wheel, it has a deeper "dish", which pushes the tire out.  These have a 4.5" backspace. I bet yours is at least 6"

IMG_2585.JPG

On 12/30/2019 at 7:36 PM, newstang said:

I seem to hit the frame when i turn full right on all my cars, im using the stock mustang rims from late model mustangs with a ¾ " spacer. anyone else get this?

What year late model mustang?

I believe 94-04 most are using a 1" hubcentric spacer.

05-14 is 1.25"