copb8

1970 Hood Stripe Decal

Does anyone know of a company that sell a decal for the matt-black hood stripe for a '70 Mach 1 351 with Shaker hood?

Mine is shiny black and has a couple of air bubbles that I've tried to eliminate without success. I'd like to replace it with a matt-black one and really don't have the skill, facilities or tools to do a spray on one.

I've found a company that does the rear trunk lid graphic but not the hood graphic. They say it won't conform to the hood bulge but that doesn't seem right to me since entire cars with complex surfaces get wrapped all the time. I've found a lot of stencil graphics but obviously that puts me back into the spray painting fix.

TIA

The factory stripe was 100% painted but I'd like to avoid having to do that.

My car has a decal currently so either someone sells them or one of the  POs had it made. If they'd done a better job installing it I'd be very happy with it's looks.

Thank you Vicfreg!

It's funny but in my google searches NPD never came up, and that's after a lot of time searching.

I see they have the outer stripe and numbers but don't see the center wide one. I'm going to give them a call and ask about that and whether they're flat or shiny. 

Fingers crossed!

RR, I've been following the work you do and you're way above my skill level. 

I don't suppose anyone would recommend using a rattle can for this kind of job?

12 hours ago, copb8 said:

Thank you Vicfreg!

It's funny but in my google searches NPD never came up, and that's after a lot of time searching.

I see they have the outer stripe and numbers but don't see the center wide one. I'm going to give them a call and ask about that and whether they're flat or shiny. 

Fingers crossed!

the problem with vinyl is that it is not going on a flat surface due to the crown in the hood, and there is no such thing as an aftermarket vinyl center hood stripe, however, you can have a vinyl wrap shop fabricate something, however, unless it actually has some type of adhesive, it may not stick. if you have a shop make one have them give you a written guarantee it will not bubble or lift anywhere for a year or something.

you can also have phoenix graphics make a stripe that is wide enough from 3m brand adhesive decal/stripe material but it would reguire someone very good to make it work so the outer edges are parallel once it is laid over the crown of the hood, because the higher the crown, the more it will pull in the sides of the stripe.

also, just for novelty info, the painted stripe and trunk and tail panel black out on a 69 is not black, it is dark indigo blue.

Barrett, you bring up an excellent point that I hadn't considered. Had I had the center stripe made I would've definitely overlooked the fact that the crown would narrow the outside edges as compared to to the outside narrow stripes.

I think at this point I'm going to buy a stencil and have a professional shop spray it.

2 hours ago, copb8 said:

Barrett, you bring up an excellent point that I hadn't considered. Had I had the center stripe made I would've definitely overlooked the fact that the crown would narrow the outside edges as compared to to the outside narrow stripes.

I think at this point I'm going to buy a stencil and have a professional shop spray it.

ok, just in case you don't know, the 69 stripes are smooth, meaning there is no texture to the surface. The 70 stripes are slightly rough like sand paper, so be sure to get the correct paint for the year car you have. Duracryl is probably the best and most accurate these days.

Also, if it is a 1970 and you use the textured paint, you should find someone that has done this on a Mustang many times before and used this particular product, otherwise, it is possible that the results may be "unpleasant".

Also, also, I think you can still get this product in either lacquer or enamel, and the enamel goes on thicker so it will leave a bit more of an edge. The lacquer is more correct but it may react unfavorably to the existing paint.

Welcome to world of paining stripes in the year 2020, lol.