Her69fastback

Starter noise

C5 is an odd transmission to have.  They were used in the mid '80s on Fairmonts and Granada's, and some small 4x4 trucks.  Not used in any 1960's or early 1970's cars that I am aware of.

The 157 and 164 tooth flywheels are also a different diameter.  The 157 tooth is 13-1/4" and the 164 tooth is 14.25".    

The starter mounting bolt locations on the bellhousings for the different size flywheels are also slightly different

The last thing that can be big trouble is that the older flywheels are a 28 oz imbalance.  The later ones are a 50 oz imbalance.

If this all was working before together without issue, then I would guess the starter Bendix gear is worn out.  Easy to replace the starter.

4 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

C5 is an odd transmission to have.  They were used in the mid '80s on Fairmonts and Granada's, and some small 4x4 trucks.  Not used in any 1960's or early 1970's cars that I am aware of.

C5's were an improvement on the C4. They had bigger oil passages for one, which in itself is a good reason to use it. You're fortunate to have one. Mine was stolen from my garage. 

2 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Bob, good to know.  I would have no idea how to identify one.   

c5:
* The C5 is an updated version of the C4 released around 1982.
* It is an upgrade that sought to rectify some problems- namely lubrication.
* There Is an E2 casting code on The case
* There is a Fine thread adjuster on front Band 
* Another way to tell from a C4 is Larger 1/4 " threaded cooler fittings

Also:

http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14177-how-to-spot-the-difference-between-c3c4c5c6c9-and-c10/

On 12/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, RPM said:

c5:
* The C5 is an updated version of the C4 released around 1982.

I merely copy and pasted this poorly written sentence. A better worded sentence would read:

The C5 which was released around 1982, is an updated version of the C4.