Rindelmach1

Advise on changing to 3.55 gear ratio

Funny, I'm thinking of going for 3.5 to 3.0ish to be able to cruise down the highway a bit more comfortably. You can't go anywhere in Texas without having to drive some distance.

Would you change the gears out yourself or have a shop do it?

You can buy a new center section and swap it out yourself.  Probably would be break even with the cost of having someone re-do the gear set.    

I found some guys in Iowa that build gear sets and complete rear ends for race cars and street cars.  I ordered a 3:25 posi and got a beautiful set up with Daytona Pinion.  They also made me some 31 spline axles.   Highly recommended, small business shop.  

Quick Performance, Ames Iowa.    https://www.quickperformance.com/      Call Brydon 641-751-8060, or staticz2229@gmail.com

Pics attached.  I did the assembly, easy.  Pics of finished product also attached

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

I had the 9" rear in my 69 Coupe rebuilt by 8and9inchfordrears in south western NJ. He was very easy to work with & built the rear exactly how I wanted. I brought him the center section & the axles & he built it & even installed new axle bearings. www.8and9inchfordrears.com