capemustang

Flywheel Question

Hello, I am replacing my clutch and all linkages on my 69 convertible in a few weeks.  The mechanic thinks that the flywheel may need to be replaced at that time., but we are not sure until he gets into it.  We don’t know if the  current flywheel was resurfaced 1 or a couple of times.  Due to time constraints, I need to purchase a replacement flywheel ahead of time.  One issue is that I don’t know if my flywheel is a 57 or 64 tooth one. I cannot get to the car to check.   The car is garaged in another state and no one can get into the garage to check for me. I get to the car until the day of repair work.  As far as we know, the car is stock.  This may be a very dumb question, but would anyone know what flywheel would have been installed for a 1969 3 speed manual transmission 302?  Thank you in advance, 

on my 302 SR 69 with a 4 speed it was a 164 teeth

Seems that both were used - depends more on the bellhousing installed.

Difficult to choose one w/o checking what is installed and what clutch setup is used : I ordered a new FW (OEM) to install with my new Mc Leod clutch  and the bolt pattern circle for the pressure plate was no good, had to tap new bolt holes

It should be a 157 tooth flywheel unless a previous owner changed it.  Changing it to a 164 tooth flywheel would have involved many other parts as well, bellhousing, starter, clutch assembly from a 10.5" to an 11", and clutch lever.  Plus, I am not certain a 302 Z-bar which is designed for a 10.5" clutch and 157 tooth flywheel setup would work correctly with a 164 tooth flywheel setup.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and advice.  After looking at everyones’s suggestions from this forum as well as on the vintage mustang forum,  I ended up buying the 164 teeth (28oz) flywheel rather than buy both the 157 and 164 and return the one not used.  The install was this week along with a new clutch linkage and clutch pressure plate, fork, etc.  The  mechanics asked me how did I know which flywheel to get since it was perfect.  Also, how did I manage to order all the needed parts to rebuild the clutch linkage.  I told them that I had the help of some great experienced owners and mechanics. Thank you everyone - I greatly appreciate your help!  This forum and all the great people who are so willing to give their time and help make owning and enjoying my mustang so much better.