Jack G

1969 351 windsor crank sprocket cap

Can anyone educate me about the purpose of the crankshaft sprocket cap? Trying to find a timing chain cover that will fit, but no success unless I take off the sprocket cap altogether.  Will this work or do I have to have that cap on there for performance?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

That is called an Oil Slinger.   I personally don't use them, have built several engines without them with no problems.

If you are going to use a high quality double roller timing chain, then the oil slinger, which goes between the crank pulley and the timing chain cover oil seal, will rub on the cover.

I decided a good timing chain was more important than the oil slinger, which Ford later abandoned.

Picture is of my 5.0 that is in my '68 coupe. I build a Windsor Based 393 stroker, looks identical.  No slinger.

IMG_0979.JPG

Thanks very much for your quick and thorough reply.  I installed a double roller timing chain and the cover rubs exactly as you described.  Didn't know if I could just do without it, but apparently I can and will go forward now.  

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Jack G.

I've installed double roller timing chain and gear sets on a couple of 351W motors and never had an issue with the oil slinger rubbing on anything.  Both Cloyes true roller and Ford Racing's double roller timing chain and gear sets have fit just fine. I will admit the Ford Racing set fits better than the Cloyes set.  Either way, I'd definitely install the oil slinger.  It will help block oil from getting to the front seal, thus help reduce any potential leaks.

Hi Jack.  I guess we have presented you with a dilemma, which are 2 opinions.  This happens.  1969 Mach is correct in that it would be beneficial to install the slinger. That was the original design by Ford.  He has offered 2 options that make good sense.

But as you have described, I have had issues with some timing chain sets where the slinger would absolutely not fit without rubbing. If the one you have causes rubbing, then maybe you can go with the Ford Racing set as suggested.  In my case, I kept my timing chain and did not use the slinger, and 11 years later on that engine in the picture, have no leaks or issues.  

Another option is to call the Ford Racing techline and discus your situation with them.

Good luck.

Vic