Flanders

3G Alternator

I found a lot of great info in the below how-to thread, however I was wondering overall what the consensus was on the PA performance 1G to 3G 'upgrade'.  Is the only negative the fact that the alternator can only be bought from PA performance (ie. not an off-the-shelf part at napa)?  Otherwise, is it truly plug-and-play?

I'm not sure I want to re-wire all connections to the existing voltage regulator (and remove it too), but I think this is the only way to do it with the ford 3G alternator.  Anyone done this recently and can comment?

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

I found a lot of great info in the below how-to thread, however I was wondering overall what the consensus was on the PA performance 1G to 3G 'upgrade'.  Is the only negative the fact that the alternator can only be bought from PA performance (ie. not an off-the-shelf part at napa)?  Otherwise, is it truly plug-and-play?

I'm not sure I want to re-wire all connections to the existing voltage regulator (and remove it too), but I think this is the only way to do it with the ford 3G alternator.  Anyone done this recently and can comment?

If you break down on the road with a PA Performance alternator you won't be able to go to the auto parts store to replace it. PA Performance has its own special regulator so you have to use their alternator. All of the 3Gs require rewiring- nothing is plug and play. I would go with a Ford style 3G so if it breaks you can replace it on the road and get going again. Since you have to rewire anyway it just makes sense to add the two fuse links to protect the car properly.

I did the 3G conversion, it was pretty straightforward and it works great. I hated the thought of getting stranded because a part store wouldn't have a replacement ready, hence the 3 G. I was able to use my factory alternator brackets with one intermediate bracket to reach a little further.

10 hours ago, Flanders said:

Thanks for the tips.  Is there a good how-to for the 3G conversion, dumbing it down a bit more than the how-to in the 1st post :)  Seems pretty easy to find a 3G alternator from a 1999-2004 mustang.

don't dumb it down to the point that you don't add the two fuse links to protect the car properly ;)