Darkman

ANOTHER 69 R Code 428CJ Mach 1 restomod!

What do you plan to use as an AIR FILTER ??   I'm thinking there can only be a few options out there for dual carb set ups and I'd guess most if not all Ford variations are open element types like what you typically see on 60's Ford's with dual 4's.   From pic's, it looks like these oval shaped air filters are narrower as well as shorter than the round element used in a shaker.

Possibly a Mopar factory dual 4bbl air filter is wider and possibly taller too.   I'm no Mopar expert, but did they ever do dual 4's under their Shaker ??   If so, I'd certainly study that air filter base … however the Mopar Shaker scoop is much larger than Ford's too.  

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you definitely want to design your air filter housing around an air filter element that is readily available.   Guess you could design around two round elements as you see on some dual 4 set ups, but I'd think these would have far less filtration surface area that one large oval element.

Having your custom elongated shaker air filter housing clear the distributor cap & wires is another hurdle that may make this impossible.

If you can pull this off AND give it a stock look under the hood it will be a huge accomplishment !!

Wish you the best of luck,

Doug       

2 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

What do you plan to use as an AIR FILTER ??   I'm thinking there can only be a few options out there for dual carb set ups and I'd guess most if not all Ford variations are open element types like what you typically see on 60's Ford's with dual 4's.   From pic's, it looks like these oval shaped air filters are narrower as well as shorter than the round element used in a shaker.

Possibly a Mopar factory dual 4bbl air filter is wider and possibly taller too.   I'm no Mopar expert, but did they ever do dual 4's under their Shaker ??   If so, I'd certainly study that air filter base … however the Mopar Shaker scoop is much larger than Ford's too.  

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you definitely want to design your air filter housing around an air filter element that is readily available.   Guess you could design around two round elements as you see on some dual 4 set ups, but I'd think these would have far less filtration surface area that one large oval element.

Having your custom elongated shaker air filter housing clear the distributor cap & wires is another hurdle that may make this impossible.

If you can pull this off AND give it a stock look under the hood it will be a huge accomplishment !!

Wish you the best of luck,

Doug       

Right now I am planning on the Ford 2x4 oval filter but will look at other filters. Might go with square ones and use two. Lots of options there. As you know in the stock Shaker setup the filter sets around the carb and has a lid on top. That lid does not attach to any of the top structure of the Shaker assembly. The air has to come in the top move around the lid go through the filter and then make a 90⁰ turn to enter the carburetors. I think that can be improved upon at least in the Shaker mode. What I propose is building a short box that will encase the two carbs making it fit two of any of the numerous flat element air cleaners. I think that would be far superior to the original setup a way cheaper than buying the Ford 2x4 cleaners. 

When the car is not in Shaker mode the engine breathes through the snorkel which is not really a great looking method and for my big inch motor may even be a choke point. I'll have to give that some thought!

Any ideas. Remember I'm trying to closely look like a stock 69 428 CJ under the hood. One thought I had was to place a couple windows at the rear of the base air cleaner and maybe even draw air from the high pressure cowl area. The Monte Carlo bar and the lengthened rear of the air cleaner base should make it nearly invisible. 

About the distributor clearance. The front of the base will not move forward so that should not be a problem. Only the location of the carb opening will move inside the the base.

I should know for sure in a few weeks but for now I'm still convinced it will work. Thanks for the kind words.

What do yall think about drawing air from the cowl?

You could try and use an "E" Bird Air cleaner base. These are found on the '57 T-Birds with Dual Quads, and the Fairlane Police Interceptors.  They are for the old 312 Y Block.

I had an old Buick with dual quads. Each of the mid-60's GM mid size cars with dual quads used this style air cleaner.

Pics attached.  

images0RRZIMJB.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

imagesR1RXJFYV.jpg

Ok I did some mocking up today and while it doesn't answer all the questions it certainly raises the probability factor substantially IMHO. As if I had any doubt! LOL

The first picture is with the stock CJ intake, carb spacer, carb, air cleaner base, a one inch spacer and then the intermediary shaker plate and the shaker. The one inch spacer simulates the higher 2x4 intake height.

The second picture shows the Tunnel Wedge intake and the C3AE 9510 C carbs. Look how nicely they are centered under the shaker opening. Ford missed a golden opportunity when they didn't do this. They way this centered even shocked me. I wasnt expecting that nice of a fit. The Sniper units are a direct replacement for Holley carbs and should fit the same. They say they'll fit anything above a 6.4 center to center. C to C is 8.5 on the Tunnel Wedge intake so there should actually be more room.

The third photo shows a tape showing ~6 inches from the firewall to the back of the rear carb.

The rest are just some overall shots. Maybe next weekend I'll have the 2X4 Sniper Fuel Injection in and we can see what it looks like. I really need it to be 100% sure my air cleaner mods will work.

20191214_134639.jpg

20191214_140732.jpg

20191214_141038.jpg

20191214_141120.jpg

20191214_141139.jpg

This afternoon I made some critical measurements. I measured the height of a  plane formed by the intake manifold carb base where it intersected a vertical line from where the distributor base rest on the intake. The distributor base is a constant since it dictates the depth of the distributor gear engagement with the camshaft. The CJ intake is a Ford casting and the Tunnel Wedge intake is a BBM that is a cast reproduction of an original Ford intake. It stands to reason the distributor base height is standardized.

I measured the CJ intake at 3 15/16 but it had the 1/4 spacer that was stuck and did not want to turn loose. These measurements are based on the final height of how much the Shaker assembly will move up. With that in mind it will not effect the accuracy of the measurements.

I measured the Tunnel Wedge intake at 4 1/4 flush with the aluminum. That's gives a height difference of 5/16". My builder will use a 1/2 spacer under the carbs. That gives a final height difference of 13/16" from the base of the carbs between the CJ and the Tunnel Wedge intake. 

When I did my mock up the other day I used a full inch spacer between the top of the air cleaner base and the Shaker intermediary plate. I was able to close the hood with the Shaker fitting properly but it was a tad high and IMHO it really looked aggressive. The original Shaker was a thing of Beauty but when lifted only an inch it really takes on a new identity. A mean , loud and boisterous entity that befits the CJ nicely. Of course I may be a little bit biased!

These new measurements continue to confirm the 2x4 Shaker will definitely work.

20191216_162432.jpg

20191216_162504.jpg

20191216_163442.jpg

20191216_163409.jpg

20191214_134627.jpg

With the holidays progress has been slower but we are almost through stripping to have the car soda blasted. Still have to finish the air cleaner conversion but I have a clear path to that now and after the holidays should be able to wrap it up. Once that is finished out comes the transmission and we'll bolt on the adapter and the 10R80 to see what we'll need to modify.