Topher26041

Stereo ideas for convertible

Recently purchased a 1969 convertible and would like to install a nice sounding radio with speakers. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced, quality radio with Bluetooth and Aux input? Also suggestions on where to mount the speakers? I'm only seeing an original dash mount speaker in this convertible unless I'm missing any other original speakers somewhere. Anywhere to mount speakers in the back?

Edited by Topher26041
No title

I bought one of those 2-in-1 stereo speakers  that replaces the mono speaker in the dash and it's pretty bad - I wouldn't recommend it.

Door speakers are OEM correct if you want to go that way but the size is limited to 5"x8" (or something like that) and you have to cut up your doors. 

Other options are putting them in the fresh air vents or in the back seat panels (again, you have to cut up your car, not for me). The fresh air vents have always seemed like a good option to me but it's not something I want badly enough to give up my vents. 

Welcome to the site, now we need pics of this vert of yours!

So many of us don’t want to cut up the interior to mount speakers yet want some level of music when we are out driving.

Has anyone else considered something like a Bose Sounlink Mini 2? - my thoughts were have an original radio in the car for appearance and just use the phone with a streaming service playing through a halfway decent portable Bluetooth speaker which could sit on the dash top with a bit of hook and loop tape holding it.

you can put around a 6" shallow speaker in each rear quarter panel plastic, but you need to cut a hole in the sheet metal which will not hurt anything and wont be seen. if you ever remove them you can just put new vinyl on the rear quarters. this in conjunction with the dash mounted stereo speakers will give you reasonable sound but door mounted ones would help considerably. maybe do the dash speakers first then add quarter speakers or door speakers if you want more.

custom auto sound has several different radios for mustangs, and i am a dealer for them so i can probably get you a decent price.

5 hours ago, Hux said:

So many of us don’t want to cut up the interior to mount speakers yet want some level of music when we are out driving.

Has anyone else considered something like a Bose Sounlink Mini 2? - my thoughts were have an original radio in the car for appearance and just use the phone with a streaming service playing through a halfway decent portable Bluetooth speaker which could sit on the dash top with a bit of hook and loop tape holding it.

That's probably the most logical, sensible idea I've heard in a long time.

16 hours ago, Hux said:

I received an Altec Lansing Boomjacket (portable Bluetooth waterproof speaker) for Christmas one year.  I made a bracket to hang it underneath the glove box.  The bracket is not permanently mounted to the car or the speaker. This allows me to remove the speaker to  recharge the battery, as needed.  Btw, the charge lasts quite a while.  The sounds is amazing and can be very loud, if desired.  It doesn’t look bad in the car-it blends in.  It is not the perfect sound system as compared to installing new speakers but it is perfect for our use.

altec lansing boom jacket black - Google Search.png

I greatly appreciate the ideas. Some mentioned dash speaker(s) as in plural. I'm only seeing one location for a single speaker in the top middle of the dash?Barnett468...I like your ideas and think I definitely need to add at least two more speakers, if not four to get the sound I want. I'm not sure where you're talking about in the rear quarter panel plastic and have to cut sheet metal? Keep in mind this is a convertible. Would it be just below the snaps behind the window roller in the first pic? I appreciate the input!

IMG_9407.JPG

IMG_9149.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

1 hour ago, Topher26041 said:

I greatly appreciate the ideas. Some mentioned dash speaker(s) as in plural. I'm only seeing one location for a single speaker in the top middle of the dash?Barnett468...I like your ideas and think I definitely need to add at least two more speakers, if not four to get the sound I want. I'm not sure where you're talking about in the rear quarter panel plastic and have to cut sheet metal? Keep in mind this is a convertible. Would it be just below the snaps behind the window roller in the first pic? I appreciate the input!

IMG_9407.JPG

IMG_9149.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

Below is just 1 example of a replacement dual speaker for your dash. These will still have a "thin" sound because they are crappy speakers, so you can actually buy decent speakers and make your own setup for the dash although it will still sound a little thin.

If you want a fairly rich sound that you will play moderately loud for a stock type system, and do not want speakers hanging under the dash or in boxes sitting ton the rear floor behind the seats, I think you are going to want both the rear speakers in the quarter panels and the factory style ones in the doors.

You will also need decent quality speakers and possibly a decent amp mounted in the trunk, but again, you can start small then add as you deem necessary but one trick to this is to buy speakers that are matched to the power you plan to use. This is not critical but it is helpful, but I think you should determine a maximum amount you want to spend on it first.

Another [problem is that most of the aftermarket radios that are designed specifically to fit in the original radio hole of a mustang are a bit cheap sounding, so if you are much of an audiophile, you will probably want a better radio than these. That being said, how picky should a person be when wanting a better sound system for a 40 year old convertible.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1969-1970-ford-mustang-dual-dash-mount-speaker.html

1005-Dash-Speaker_540x540.jpg

10 minutes ago, Topher26041 said:

Any idea where to find a template for the door mounting location? My model has never had any mounted in the doors?

all 64 thru 73 mustangs had the option for door mounted speakers. the covers below are for 69 and 70 mustangs and cougars. you need to get speakers that fit within the outside dimensions of the grills before you cut the speaker holes.

spraying the inside of the doors with ruberized sound deadener will improve the sound a little but that stuff is messy and can splatter when you spray it so wear rubber gloves if you use it and use paint thinner or lacquer thinner to wipe it off of anything inside the door you dont want it to stay on like the window tracks etc.

the factory speaker harness requires an additional hole in the door and piller post, but you can get away just using small speaker wire. 

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9zz-18798-a.html

1556669358_q.jpg

this photo will give you a general idea of their location. if you point the window crank straight downward, the very center (left to right) of the speaker grill should line up with it. you need to also need to roll the window down then measure the distance from the window mechanism to the surface of the door then buy speakers that are slightly less deep than this so they don't hit the window mechanism.

The bottom edge of the grill is around 1/2" up from the bottom of the door, but that is an estimate.

69_Grande_interior.jpg

Not a convertible, and certainly not stock, but when my boy wanted to do the stereo in my Mach 1 I gave him free reign. I did have the final say on each product and location. As my car has several welded on chassis mods, I wasn't scared to cut a hole into the metal. 

I know my way of doing things doesn't jive with others, but the stereo sounds great. Although on a recent 3,000 mile trip to Waco I didn't listen to the stereo once. But the side exit exhaust sure sounded great. Might have $1,500 into it with 2,500 watts, Pioneer, Cerwin Vega, MB Quart products. 

It's your car, modify it to your liking. The last pic is the best part of the sound system :)

stereo.thumb.jpg.2e633e60c0a7d441a608dd9aa7201873.jpg20191111_110043.thumb.jpg.99bc7898752e41c10e8a76836d68bdb6.jpg20191111_105140.thumb.jpg.7394999b1987aab3669f9b31a8248f93.jpg20191111_105200.thumb.jpg.2bf5073ae8b7de5c89a9a71c5f0c017c.jpg20191111_110327.thumb.jpg.f17cbc5146d275fa82006804075a06fa.jpg

IMG_20160719_234118.jpg

20190518_100821.jpg

20191111_110805.jpg

I chose a smaller foot print. Using the factory door speaker holes I installed the hybrid audio Legatia L4SE 4" speakers mounted in a sheet metal plate and a single alpine R 5X7 for a center dash woofer only, no hgh''s. I chose the Alpine KTA-30FW amp for its size and quality and mounted it under the center console forward. For the head unit I installed a CA USA-740. It has subwoofer controls and I utilized  that to run the center channel for more bass. I spent more time sorting /sealing the doors and dash for better bass response more than I care to admit. Also ran an 8 gauge power supply for the amp with a fusible link off the starter solenoid ran around the radiator support with factory wiring as not to be noticed wrapped in electrical tape. In retrospect I would have rather installed a 10-12" subwoofer in the spare tire rim and for more power used a Titan 4 channel amp.I may also add Hybrid Legatia tweeters in the future though.