Sign in to follow this  
Pierre

Rear wheel not centered in wheekhose

Hello , I have a problem with the restoration of my mustang sportsroof GT 69 , my rear wheel are not looking good ,it is look like that they are not centered !! But everything fitt!! Wheel base is ok , driving shaft is ok , rear frame rail , wheel house , was weld at there place , I don’t understand !! But my leaf spring have 5 leafs and they are arche a lot , and my shacles are not in angle .. could it be the problème ? In the second picture I put 160lbs in the trunk , it move a little bit bacward..

47EA5576-DE15-4D7F-8CE9-70FFA1750801.jpeg

121CB1B7-2562-41E8-AB2C-4EF3EE253E09.jpeg

Normal

The axle moves rearward as the suspension compresses. At normal ride height it will still be closer to the front but as the suspension compresses and the shackles rotate rearward with the flattening of the spring leafs, the axle moves closer to center. Because you have stiffer leaf sets, the off-centered condition is more exaggerated without the full weight on the axle.

Thanks you , so may be it will be good to take off the fifth leaf , that will probably help lowering the gap on top of the tire and make it rotate rearward as you said, is it better to put hydraulic shock or gaz shock mine as gaz shock  now !

ok, there are many mfg's of leaf springs, and many put the car much higher than it came stock. Sometimes these springs need to be re-arced to lower the car. You can certainly try removing the small leaf and try it but the car must have all the interior in etc. Nobody can give you informed decisions on shocks until you drive it and tell us if you want it stiffer or softer and what shocks you currently have on it etc.