Darkman

6R80: From F150 or Mustang?

I had it bought well almost. I found a 2014 6R80 in a F150 for $500 but it had the 6 cylinder engine. My parts purveyor said he'd try to locate a Mustang since I mentioned I'd like to have the shifter, cable and crossmember. Later I got to thinking do I really want the transmission out of a Mustang that most likely had been rode hard? OR maybe I should source a low mileage F150 driven only on Sundays by a little old lady going to church. It's going behind a FE with around 500 - 600 hp and torque in my 69 Mustang.  I can always source the cable, shifter and crossmember later. Of course there's the $$$ thing. The Mustang 6R80 will cost $1000 plus just to get those two shifter mounting bosses on the side of the transmission. Other than that they are the same! Seems like the F150 makes a lot of sense!

Yes I've ordered my Bendsten adapter and it's on the way! I'll use the PBH 1000HP rebuild kit for the 6R80 and it should be like new.

You better find out  which one  will fit the FE block. They make 10 different 6R80.  The  F150 and the  Mustang  have a  different  bolt pattern.  Plan on  major modifications to the firewall and tunnel with this transmission,  unless  using our  MTF suspension. 

None fit the FE block but the Bendsten adapter bolts to the block and allows you to bolt the 6R80 to the adapter. It requires a 2011 or later 6R80 from a V8 F150 or Mustang. Some other Fords and Mercurys will work but the F150 is the easiest and cheapest to find. The Bendsten kit has a crank adapter, flex plate, starter and all bolts. Here is the link. It says AOD but when you order you tell them you are using the 6R80 and you get the AOD adapter machined for the 6R80. You also specify internal or external balanced motor.

https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/ford/products/ford-fe-352-360-390-406-410-427-428-to-ford-aod 

I spoke with PBH about the transmission and they said as long as it was 2011 and later and from behind a V8 it would work. The 6 cylinder has a different bolt pattern. F150 and Mustang were the same except for the mounting bosses for the shifter cable on the Mustang case.

Modifications to the tunnel and firewall should be minimal. But I guess that all from an individuals perspective. I know I'll have to cut and weld but I'm good with that. I already have to replace some floor pans so it's no big deal. If it wasnt for those long top bolts on the case it sure would be easier. One suggestion was to counter bore and use a caps crew to pick up a little more clearance there. I'm sure it will be a challenge but the end result should be worth it.

Here's a brief update. I've acquired a 6R80 that came from a 2013 Mustang with a Coyote motor. This was not my first choice as I figured a F150 probably wouldnt have been beat on as bad as a Mustang transmission would be!

BUT the price was right. It was FREE! Yep that's a really good price and it comes with the transmission mount, crossmember, shiftercable, shifter and any other associated hardware.  Additionally if I need or choose to rob some of the donors firewall or tunnel I can. 

How'd this come about. My friend needed the Coyote motor and bought the wrecked Mustang for just that and I get the spoils!

I've also made arrangements to get a 6R80 case to check for tunnel clearance and crossmember, mount and shifter fabrication. 

And so it begins.

I'll update soon!

OR NOT I just realized I should be posting this in the project update forum!

20191106_130332.jpg

I've had my eye out for a 6R80 for my 47 Merc coupe preferably from a 2015 and up Mustang or F150 2WD .I'm thinking it has to do with obtaining the proper stand alone to control that trans.

I could really use the shifter from a mustang or F150 as i certainly modify it to fit. I have an open chassis and floor with basically no interference and can build around it.

So if anyone has any connections i'd certainly be interested and i can't wait to follow your posts

Thanks..John