Caseyrhe

What’s this, should I be concerned

Popped the freeze plugs out of the 67 390 I’m fixing to build, Std bore. 

Looks like a 3/8” rod in between the 2&3 and 6&7 cylinders, close to 2 and 6 cylinders. Nothing visual on head deck, just never noticed it before. 

B0B56F5E-BC26-4568-97F3-C57AA68FE7CD.jpeg

9E78ACC4-00D1-4223-AC7F-7BDF53651F47.jpeg

23 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Popped the freeze plugs out of the 67 390 I’m fixing to build, Std bore.

In case you did not know, there are several simple improvements you can do to the oiling system on those to improve the oiling, and they should be done if you build a high perf engine.

I do know, but its been 20 plus years since I did it. opening up the oil ports at pump and filter housing, restrictor at rocker arm port, was there any others?

Seems like there was a post on here awhile back, but haven't spent a lot of time looking for it. Block seems to be at std bore, so will wont to do the mods before taking it to the mach shop. Anyone have the link handy

We used to swap over to solid lifters and enlarge some oil passages and restrict some others to keep more oil on the crank. Hydraulic blocks oil the cam before the crank if I am correct. FE  depends on an improved oil system for longevity .It has been a long time since I played with those old motors. A windage tray is also a great addition to an FE.