newstang

convertible top help

Ok, so have two issues, the first is the top is so tight it doesn't really reach all way forward without two people pushing it in to latch. as it is one person cannot close the top by themselves. Is there an adjustment to make the frame come forward?

Second issue is the weatherstrip does not match up by the rear side windows. any advice?

IMG_3019.jpeg

you probably need to take it to a qualified top installer to determine exactly why it is tight. there are around 8 bolts at the base of the rear window and insides of the quarter panels that can be loosened to allow it to come forward, however, this also allows the rear frame that meets the rear edge of the rear side window to come forward, so it may then hit the window, and if your windows are properly lined up, you need to move the header forward instead.

the single biggest problem i have seen with installers is that the idiots make the tops to tight so they are nearly impossible to close, then they lie to you by saying that "it will stretch out soon so it will be easier to latch" which is a joke.

i have had to undo the top at the front on some cars to move the header forward but if there is not enough material left on the top to still work properly, and this is the piece you need to move to make it fit properly, you need another new top, it's that simple.

if you paid a shop to install it, take it back and tell them to fix it, but i bet they can't fix it properly.

you either have to move one or both of the weatherstrip pieces, or cut the wrong one to the right length if you cant move them enough but it may be best to remove one first until the top fits, then fit them on correctly.

9 hours ago, barnett468 said:

you probably need to take it to a qualified top installer to determine exactly why it is tight. there are around 8 bolts at the base of the rear window and insides of the quarter panels that can be loosened to allow it to come forward, however, this also allows the rear frame that meets the rear edge of the rear side window to come forward, so it may then hit the window, and if your windows are properly lined up, you need to move the header forward instead.

the single biggest problem i have seen with installers is that the idiots make the tops to tight so they are nearly impossible to close, then they lie to you by saying that "it will stretch out soon so it will be easier to latch" which is a joke.

i have had to undo the top at the front on some cars to move the header forward but if there is not enough material left on the top to still work properly, and this is the piece you need to move to make it fit properly, you need another new top, it's that simple.

if you paid a shop to install it, take it back and tell them to fix it, but i bet they can't fix it properly.

you either have to move one or both of the weatherstrip pieces, or cut the wrong one to the right length if you cant move them enough but it may be best to remove one first until the top fits, then fit them on correctly.

A pro shop did install it and he said just that, it will stretch.

I guess ill need to get it back to them.

1 hour ago, newstang said:

A pro shop did install it and he said just that, it will stretch.

I guess ill need to get it back to them.

if it is a double textured top and it was installed when it was at least around 70 degrees out, it ain't gonna stretch much. here's the deal, the tops closed fine when these cars were new. your guy does what most these idiots do, which is make them super tight so there as few wrinkles as possible so the customer doesn't whine about them. i have been doing this for 45 years, and have never, ever, seen a double textured top stretch much at all, and in fact, after a certain time, the older a top gets, the more it shrinks.

if one person can not close the top by sitting in the drivers seat and pulling down on it with just light to moderate force when it is around 70 degrees out or above, it is installed incorrectly, its that simple. i have had the idiots install them so tight that it literally broke the bracket when i clamped it down.

when you go to a car show, you put the top down, so if it has a minor wrinkle here or there, who cares, because nobody will see it. the same thing applies when you are driving the car.

4 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

if it is a double textured top and it was installed when it was at least around 70 degrees out, it ain't gonna stretch much. here's the deal, the tops closed fine when these cars were new. your guy does what most these idiots do, which is make them super tight so there as few wrinkles as possible so the customer doesn't whine about them. i have been doing this for 45 years, and have never, ever, seen a double textured top stretch much at all, and in fact, after a certain time, the older a top gets, the more it shrinks.

if one person can not close the top by sitting in the drivers seat and pulling down on it with just light to moderate force when it is around 70 degrees out or above, it is installed incorrectly, its that simple. i have had the idiots install them so tight that it literally broke the bracket when i clamped it down.

my clamps are so hard to engage that im sure they will break if he doesnt correct this.

In fact he did at one point say that tops shrink so im confused how he thinks it can stretch.

2 minutes ago, newstang said:

my clamps are so hard to engage that im sure they will break if he doesnt correct this.

In fact he did at one point say that tops shrink so im confused how he thinks it can stretch.

yeah, ok, you are screwed and may have a bit of a fight on your hands to get him to fix it because he may not be able to without installing a new top. i have been down this road, many, many, many, times before.

no, the rubber seals should barely touch each other when the top is closed, but many repo seals are made incorrectly.

18 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

yeah, ok, you are screwed and may have a bit of a fight on your hands to get him to fix it because he may not be able to without installing a new top. i have been down this road, many, many, many, times before.

no, the rubber seals should barely touch each other when the top is closed, but many repo seals are made incorrectly.

i just txt'd him to let him know he needs to come by and figure it out, if it needs a new top, it will have to be at his expense.