Caseyrhe

C6 Transmission

The C6 I got with the 390 came out of a 67 truck. Our course the tailpiece is to long, what options do I have? I’m also going to assume the gearing will be an issue also. Haven’t had any luck finding a used trans around here or at several swap meets. Have checked a few Tranny shops for the shorter tail piece, but no luck. 

Any recommendations or direction would be greatly appreciated

334DBF6A-EC2E-427F-BE55-3070A048240D.jpeg

4DBCC07F-8EC9-464D-A972-67FEC3BF76AD.jpeg

022057D3-0BA6-4C4A-A565-C3EF6EB5D301.jpeg

I have a C-6 installed in my '70 Vert.  I am looking for some pictures...  found one, it looks the same as yours... you can zoom in on the pic....

In the 2n pic, you can see the tailshaft extends to just before my convertible center support plate.  I know these are much different than the other floor pans.  The C-6 also uses a unique transmission mount, similar, but not identical to the FMX.   They are hard to find.  I have a couple that are real nice, media blasted, and finish coated.  If you need one, will sell it for what I have in it.    

Did you have the shifter rods?   Also, I had a driveshaft made, as the original driveshaft I had was one of those 2 piece ones, and I went to a 9" center section with a Daytona Pinion, which changed my driveshaft length.    

shop engine 2.jpg

InkedIMG_4803a_LI.jpg

I have the dip tube, have the shift linkage, have the mount (thanks to Ridge). Finally heard back from my trans builder relative who said all C6's are geared the same and will check his stash of parts for a shorter tail piece/shaft. I also read last night, d shaft is close to 4" shorter on a C6 application. one of my fears with the longer tail piece was the d shaft angle, but apparently it wont effect it enough 

Are you looking for a shorter tail shaft housing or the shaft it’s self? I may have a spare c6 that may have the parts you need. Send me a private message and we can workout details.

1 hour ago, Caseyrhe said:

Are you referring to the arm on the ext of the trans that the linkage connect to?

yes. the valve body has to be removed to replace it, and the correct one for a mustang is ultra rare unless they started reproducing them.

2 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Thanks guys, I’ll be able to sleep tonight 

yes, unless you start to worry about the hole in the case this shaft goes thru that gets ovaled out over the years which can cause it to leak oil...

...are you having fun yet?