capemustang

Clutch linkage parts NOS or reproductions

I have been shopping for parts to fix up my clutch linkage. I have found a few NOS clutch forks, a clutch equalizer bar mount (engine side), and a zbar (equalizer bar). Should I put in NOS when I can find them or does it really matter? The rest of the parts will be reproductions. Also, what do you all think of the Centerforce dual friction clutch? Thank you in advance for your help. The car is a 69 convertible with a 302 manual 3 transmission. No AC or power steering.

Very little difference between original and repo linkage but original is best but i wouldn't pay twice the money for it. If you have a pressure plate with a high spring rate the z bar will flex and may also bend so it should be reinforced. Both the centerforce and mcleod dual friction discs are xlnt. 

A mix and match approach to replacement parts can lead to  a confusion of performance and service.  A stock 302, 3 speed, probably won't need a dual friction set up.  Maybe an upgrade to a diaphragm clutch will be good enough and still remain basically stock ?  Just my opinion.  Brian

45 minutes ago, Brian Conway said:

A mix and match approach to replacement parts can lead to  a confusion of performance and service.  A stock 302, 3 speed, probably won't need a dual friction set up.  Maybe an upgrade to a diaphragm clutch will be good enough and still remain basically stock ?  Just my opinion.  Brian

Thank you.  That's good to know about the dual friction and not needing it.   I will look into the diaphragm clutch.  I am learning on the go about clutches!  Thank you for your help.

3 hours ago, barnett468 said:

Very little difference between original and repo linkage but original is best but i wouldn't pay twice the money for it. If you have a pressure plate with a high spring rate the z bar will flex and may also bend so it should be reinforced. Both the centerforce and mcleod dual friction discs are xlnt. 

Thank you, that's good to know about the original vs repo linkage pats.  My clutch has always been a bit stiff so I wonder if my pressure plate that is a little different.  Thank you for the info about a the two brands.  Thank you for your help.

A diaphragm pressure plate is not an "upgrade, and is not designed to work "properly" with your linkage but they do work with it but the upper spring under the dash should be removed if you use a diaphragm pressure plate. I use stock (3 finger type) type pressure plates from mcleod, and probably have some in my parts.

I have not had a problem mixing repo linkage parts with original parts in 45 years.

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

A diaphragm pressure plate is not an "upgrade, and is not designed to work "properly" with your linkage but they do work with it but the upper spring under the dash should be removed if you use a diaphragm pressure plate. I use stock (3 finger type) type pressure plates from mcleod, and probably have some in my parts.

I have not had a problem mixing repo linkage parts with original parts in 45 years.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help.