Ridge Runner

1969 -70 hood ,with 1971 -73 top

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Nice work, you make it look easy Jim. Is the ram air chamber gonna also be made from glass, and bolt on?

Yes ,but it will be a while before i build this part ,lots of work building up that i have to do first . It is going to take 5 molds to make the ram air chamber

Left the heater on in the shop yesterday and all night ,was almost 90* in the shop . Thing hardened like iron . It was all i could do to trim it out haha. It popped right out of the underbrace ,the mold release peeled out in a sheet . Got it all trimmed out ,still need to sand and polish both molds and by next week i should be able to make a hood .

20191125_083804.jpg

20191125_084010.jpg

20191125_085040.jpg

20191125_094828.jpg

20191125_095136.jpg

48 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Left the heater on in the shop yesterday and all night ,was almost 90* in the shop . Thing hardened like iron . It was all i could do to trim it out haha. It popped right out of the underbrace ,the mold release peeled out in a sheet . Got it all trimmed out ,still need to sand and polish both molds and by next week i should be able to make a hood .

Just curious as to exactly why you are making this and also if you are able to make one from carbon fiber with the same mold.

To make a carbon fiber hood the mold would have to be flawlessly polished and extreamly straight  because it is a finished product ,i have never used carbon fiber but with some good block sanding and polishing it could be . 

Why am i making it ? No ,i am asking why am i making it haha ...something to do ?

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

Just curious as to exactly why you are making this and also if you are able to make one from carbon fiber with the same mold.

Maybe Ridge knows the apocalypse is near and wants to build his version of the interceptor . Ridge the road warrior.  Haha  

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Took it down to 2000 and hit it with two coats of mold wax ,it is very slick . Did you know this stuff can build a static charge that can jump 6 inches ,it will light you up haha. No finger prints and wax means you cant pick up any thing ,dropped my Dr.Pepper :(

Blasphemy to drop a Dr. Pepper!  How could you???  You are hereby sentenced to another couple of days of wet-sanding.

All repaired and waxed and ready to go ,but my materials are trapped on the grapevine in a snow storm so maybe this week end we will have the first hood . 

The 69 underbrace and the 71 underbrace blended very well ,cant even tell it is made from two underbraces . I cant wait to make one ,if my materials were here  i would start one tomorrow ,i can eat Turkey anytime .

20191127_141457.jpg

20191127_141508.jpg

On 11/27/2019 at 6:06 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Its a thanks giving miracle ,my materials just showed up . The storm had a break and i almost got the fork lift stuck unloading right on the edge of the road but it pulled out of it ...all is good  :) excexcept that is another 1300. Shot :(

20191127_145139.jpg

Snow in Cali? 

we didnt even get snow here, global warming my ass, its global colding !