Len69Coupe

Fuel Tank Filler 69 vs 70

So I'm doing my mock up for my EFI system. When I install the tank the fuel tank filler tube doesn't line up. This is a Tanks Inc. EFI fuel tank kit. So either the angle on the taillight panel that I replaced is wrong or the tank spout is in the wrong location. I have the tank pulled as far to the rear as possible.

I thought maybe I could cut the filler tube shorter since the  rubber adapter is flexible, but I'm not sure if that would correct this or not.

I thought I read that the 70 filler tube is at less of an angle then the 69. Can anyone confirm?

Tank filler.jpg

The tanks inc  tank is a larger capacity which will put the filler tube at a different angle.  Your remedy of cutting the tube is what I did, and it worked perfect.  However there is a after market tube that will work, that was made to correct this issue. I have seen them on ebay before .  

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, Len69Coupe said:

I thought I read that the 70 filler tube is at less of an angle then the 69. Can anyone confirm?

As far as I remember, 69 and 70 filler tubes are NOT the same; 70 has the bigger tank so the filler matches to bigger tank.

YES, 1969 & 1970 Necks are different … they are bent slightly different and the '70 is slightly shorter.  

Whether it is all due to 1969 having a 20 gallon & 1970 having a taller 22 gallon or if the different taillight panels are part of it as well I don't yet know.

Since I sell modified filler necks to avoid splash-out, I searched at one point to see what neck is specified when a 22 gallon conversion tank is put in a '69 and did not find a firm answer.   If the taillight panels put the neck in the exact same spot, then obviously you need a '70 neck in a '69 with the 22 gallon tank.   But if this is NOT the case either a special conversion neck is required or you have to modify one yourself.

I thought I had a 69 & 70 neck side by side picture but could not find one.   I will take one when I'm back home Wednesday night if still needed.

Doug  

I am planning on using EFI on my 69 Mach 1 restomod. I want to use the system where you dont have to run a return from the front and it's all handled at the tank. Holley makes the tank and EFI system like that.

Is the Tanks Inc. tank better or cheaper than the Holley EFI tank?

On 10/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, Len69Coupe said:

So I'm doing my mock up for my EFI system. When I install the tank the fuel tank filler tube doesn't line up. This is a Tanks Inc. EFI fuel tank kit. So either the angle on the taillight panel that I replaced is wrong or the tank spout is in the wrong location. I have the tank pulled as far to the rear as possible.

I thought maybe I could cut the filler tube shorter since the  rubber adapter is flexible, but I'm not sure if that would correct this or not.

Tank filler.jpg

I took 2 pics of '69 & '70 necks side by side and I think the '70 neck will line up with your tank as RPM said ...

69-v-70-necks-2.JPG

69-v-70-necks-3.JPG